Before Taking Your Tests
You'll find all the information here that you need to be ready for your assessment tests, including:
- Your eligibility and whether or not you NEED to take a test
- What to bring and not bring on the day of your test
- Reasons to submit your official high school transcripts before you take your tests
- Test overviews and how to prepare
- How to request accommodations for alternate test formats
- How your tests results will be used
All students must:
- Complete and submit the Foothill College Application for Admission
- Have a Foothill College student ID number
- Schedule an Appointment.
NOTE: You may not need to take a test IF you have earned college credit. Review the table below to make sure you are eligible for a test.
|Your ARE eligible for an assessment test if||You are NOT eligible for an assessment test if|
|You have never taken an assessment test at Foothill College and you wish to enroll in English, Math or Chemistry courses.||
You have taken a Foothill assessment test within 730 days of today.
|You have never earned a transcriptable grade in English, Math or Chemistry courses at Foothill College.||
You have already earned a transcriptable grade (passing, or D, F, NP or I) in the subject/course sequence that you wish to enroll in at Foothill College.
You do not have any applicable college credit
choose not to submit any of your college credit earned (as listed in the right column, including degrees held, college courses taken, EAP scores and/or AP scores).
You satisfy a prerequisite via the Admissions & Records Prerequisite Clearance Process.
Prerequisite Clearance includes:
Questions about the Prerequisite Clearance process should be directed to Admissions & Records at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Not sure what a prerequisite is? Look up the course that you are interested in registering for on the course catalog, and the prerequisite will be listed in the course description.
You only need two items to check in on the day of your test.
- Your student ID number; and
- A government issued photo ID or Foothill Student Identification Card. Get your Owl Card today!
Upon check-in, you will lock up all other belongings in lockers. Leave your valuables at home!
Additional allowable materials that students can bring to their testing appointment include:
- You may also bring an ESL translation dictionary for Math and Chemistry tests only if needed.
The Testing Center will provide scratch paper, pencils, and earplugs. Please note: a simple calculator will also be provided for Chemistry tests ONLY.
- No electronics will be allowed inside the testing lab, including personal calculators, cell phones, iWatches, iPods, etc.
- Students found with non-allowable materials inside the testing lab will have their tests invalidated.
You will be asked questions before your tests about academic history and grades. Download and review the Pretest Questions.
- Foothill College considers your high school academic record, in addition to your Accuplacer test scores, when determining your assessment.
- For assessment purposes, your high school transcript could be requested to verify your pretest self-reported answers.
- Failure to produce your transcript upon request could alter your assessment.
We highly recommend you submit your OFFICIAL high school transcript to Admissions & Records for more accurate course sequence assessment, graduation requirements, IGETC certification, and more.
- Mail official transcripts to Foothill College Admissions, 12345 El Monte Rd, Los Altos Hills, CA 94022
- Email official e-transcripts to email@example.com
ACCUPLACER Classic Assessment TESTS:
- English Assessment Test
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Assessment Test
- Math Assessment Test
- Chemistry 1A Assessment Test
Official DRC registration is not required in order to obtain the following accommodations:
- Extra time on assessment tests — Math, English, and ESL assessment tests are not timed. Student’s may work at their own pace to complete the assessment test. All testers must complete their assessment by the time our Testing office closes, or they can save the test to be completed on another day.
- Quiet testing environment — all assessments are conducted in a quiet testing lab setting.
Assessment tests are available in alternate text format including Braille and large print.
To arrange for disability-related accommodation, please contact the Disability Resource Center (DRC) before you take the test.
- You must first complete a Foothill College Application for Admission before making an appointment for accommodated services.
- New students should contact the DRC or visit DRC New Student resource page for more information.
- Upon admission into the DRC, contact the Testing & Assessment Center directly at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can be prepared before you arrive.
- Your test scores and the information you provide when taking the tests will only be provided to the College Board, to the college at which you are taking the tests or at which you are enrolled, and to the state to meet information requirements.
- The information may be used for counseling, advisement and assessment purposes and may be used to document whether or not you have met state testing requirements.
- It may also be used by the College Board for research and training purposes.
- Your test information will not be disclosed for any other purpose without your permission.
If you have any questions about confidentiality, please contact the Testing & Assessment Center at email@example.com.
We look forward to meeting you on the day of your test!