Services and Support
About Our Support Services
DRC offers the following support services for the Foothill community.
- Alternative Media Services
- Computer Access Center
- Deaf and Hearing Impaired Services
- Learning Disability Services.
Alternative Media Services
Alternative Media is any instruction related material which is converted or altered from its original state into a different format so it is accessible and usable by people with disabilities.
This may include, but is not limited to, Braille, ASCII text, large print, recorded audio, electronic text (e-text) formats, and video captioning.
To qualify for alternative media, you must:
- Be registered with DRC as a student with a disability
- Be referred by a DRC specialist or counselor for an intake
- Meet with Mayra Aguilera and complete a profile
If you wish to qualify for alternative media as an accommodation, please speak with your DRC specialist or counselor.
If you have questions about Alternative Media Services, please contact
Mayra Aguilera (Alternate Media Specialist)
Phone: (650) 949-7039
Computer Access Center
The Foothill College Computer Access Center provides support in the use of adaptive computer technology for students with disabilities.
Examples of the available adaptive computer technology include:
- Orthopedic disabilities: Speech recognition, adjustable workstations and seating.
- Visual Impairment: Large print screens, speech output devices, ZoomText software, screen readers.
- Acquired Brain Injury: Reading, writing and study tools.
- Learning Disabilities: Reading, writing and study tools.
- Hearing Impaired: Sign language, English vocabulary, spelling and grammar.
- Repetitive Strain Injury: Speech recognition, alternative keyboards, and seating.
If you wish to learn more about adaptive technology, please consider taking ALCA 201
- This is a one unit course that teaches you how to use different software to enhance your study skills and abilities.
- Download ALCA 201.01 syllabus
- For more information on the Computer Access Center, please contact Mayra Aguilera at (650) 949-7039
Deaf and Hearing Impaired Services
Deaf and Hearing impaired students work with a DRC counselor and the Deaf and Hearing Impaired Services Coordinator to schedule appropriate classroom support services.
- Since such services take time to arrange, it is important to register for classes during the priority period.
- Later schedule changes may result in a delay in service.
- In order to be eligible for services, a student with a hearing loss must have an recent audiogram verified by a physician or other appropriate professional.
- Documentation must be on file in the DRC office before services can begin.
Students are required to notify the Deaf and Hearing Impaired Services Coordinator
if they will not be attending class so that services can be cancelled.
- Sign Language Interpreters
- Computer Aided Real-time Captioning
- FM systems
If you wish to apply for Deaf and Hearing Impaired Services, please contact Mayra Aguilera at 650.949.7039.
Learning Disability Services
Learning Disability Services provides academic support services, classes and accommodations to Foothill College students who have learning disabilities and are eligible for services.
Students who wish to be assessed for learning disabilities should schedule an appointment for an initial screening with Russell Wong at firstname.lastname@example.org or 650.949.7040.
- Our office is only able to accommodate a small number of students for diagnostic testing each quarter.
- All students who are eligible for diagnostic testing will need to enroll in ALLD 210, Understanding Learning Differences.
- A systematic and progressive paragraph development class with an emphasis on writing concisely with correct grammar.
- Focuses on learning differences, learning theory and strategies related to specific learning challenges.
- Create a learning portfolio to identify learning style, strengths and weaknesses.
- Students who wish to be assessed for learning disabilities must enroll in ALLD210.
For more information about learning disabilities, please contact Russell Wong, Learning Disabilities Specialist at 650.949.7040 or at email@example.com