Financial Aid Programs
Special Job Announcements:
Federal Work-Study jobs still available for 2017-18: Getting an FWS Job
Student employment at Foothill College offers students an opportunity to earn money in a convenient location and to work with employers who are sensitive to the demands of a college education.
- These jobs are part-time positions, with wages that range from $10.50 to $16.75 per hour, depending on position, level, and time on the job.
- Students are limited to working a maximum of 19 hours per week. This limit applies whether school is in session or not.
Note: All student jobs end on or before June 30th of the academic year in which they begin. For a job to continue beyond these dates, a new job assignment card must be completed in advance. Students may not "volunteer" in any position while awaiting work authorization.
To be eligible for student employment, a student must have:
- fewer than 180 attempted units at Foothill and De Anza Colleges combined;
- a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0; and
- a quarterly GPA of at least 2.0 in their most recent quarter*
*Once a student drops below a 2.0 Quarterly GPA, they will not be eligible to work until they receive at least a 2.0 Quarterly GPA in a quarter in which they complete at least 6 units.
Two Types of Student Employment
- Federal Work Study (FWS) Employment
- District-Funded Employment
Federal Work-Study (FWS)
The Federal Work-Study Program provides a limited number of job opportunities on or near campus for students who have been awarded federal financial aid (a Pell Grant or a Federal Direct Student Subsidized Loan) for the academic year.
Act fast. Most FWS jobs fill quickly!More about Federal Work-Study and how to get on the FWS job waitlist
- In addition to the requirements for all student employees, FWS employees must maintain financial aid eligibility.
- They must also be enrolled in and earn at least 6 units each quarter they work. (Important: Units you receive an ‘F’ in are not ‘earned units’.)
Loss of eligibility:
- Student workers must earn at least 6.0 financial-aid-eligible units each quarter they work and maintain a 2.0 Quarterly GPA to be eligible to work the following quarter.
- Students who continue working after dropping below their required units (or after ceasing to actively participate in courses required to maintain the required units) will lose employment eligibility for an additional quarter.
Unlike FWS jobs, there is no central listing of District-funded student jobs.
- To find these job opportunities, students must go to the various departments to see whether anyone is interested in hiring them.
- Once they are offered a job, they must meet with the Student Employment Representative at the Financial Aid Office to complete the hiring process.
- In addition to the eligibility requirements for all Foothill student employees, students in District-funded positions must be enrolled in and earn at least 12 units each quarter they work (some exceptions exist for Summer).
- Students whose District-funded position is funded all or in part by CalWorks are only required to be enrolled in and earn 6 units each quarter they work. (Important: Units you receive an ‘F’ in are not ‘earned units’.)
Loss of eligibility:
- Student workers who fail to earn at least 12.0 units (6.0 units for CalWorks-funded employees) any quarter they work or who fail to maintain a 2.0 Quarterly GPA will be ineligible to work the following quarter.
- Students who continue working after dropping below their required units (or after ceasing to actively participate in courses required to maintain the required units) will lose employment privileges for an additional quarter.
Required Student Employment Paperwork
- All student employees must receive a job assignment card for each job assignment (blue cards for District-funded positions; pink cards for Federal Work Study positions) from the Financial Aid Office's Student Employment Representative. Once a student's completed job assignment card is received by the Financial Aid Office, the student's supervisor will receive a work-authorization email and the student can begin working.
- All new student employees (or students who have not worked as a Foothill student employee during the past 3 years) must complete a Student Employment Packet and bring it and their I-9 documents to a meeting with the Financial Aid Office's Student Employment Representative (see Drop-In Hours).
- International students who need to fill out the Student Employment Packet have two additional steps to take
before meeting with the Financial Aid Office Student Employment Representative:
- Get a work authorization signature on your employment packet from the International Programs Office, and
- Take your social security card and picture ID to the Admissions & Records Office have your SSN entered in the Foothill database (if it hasn’t already been done).
Please Download and Review
Please contact the Financial Aid Office at 650.949.7245 or email@example.com if you have any questions.
Attention Student Employees
CONSENT FOR ELECTRONIC W2
In support of FHDA District's commitment to the environment and green technology, please provide the district with your consent to allow the us to deliver your Year End Wage and Tax Statement on-line without producing a paper statement.
It is secure, convenient and green: print only what you need, when you need it. For more information, please visit the payroll website.
Questions?We're Here to Help!
Financial Aid Office
Building 8100, Room 8101
Student Employment Drop-In Hours Winter 2018
Please plan to sign in at least 10 minutes before the end of drop-in times.
If you cannot make it during scheduled hours, request an appointment by email to Christine Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include your student ID number and several days and blocks of time that you may be available.
(Unfortunately, there will be times when these drop-in times must be cancelled without notice. We apologize for any inconvenience.)