To qualify for the Honors Institute, students must satisfy each of the following requirements:
1. Academic Performance
For continuing Foothill College students, demonstrate a minimum 3.3 cumulative GPA in 10 or more units completed at Foothill College.
For students with less than 10 units completed at Foothill College, provide evidence of one of the following:
- Minimum 3.5 cumulative high school GPA; or,
- Minimum 3.3 cumulative GPA in 10 or more units completed at another regionally accredited college or university.
2. Writing Proficiency
Honors courses typically require more writing than non-honors courses. Students are required to demonstrate the potential for successful completion of honors courses by providing evidence of one of the following:
- Foothill English Assessment Test results indicating eligibility for Honors ENGL 1AH; or,
- Completion of ENGL 1A or ENGL 1S & 1T or equivalent with a grade B or better.
3. Personal Statement
On a separate sheet, using 150-200 words, please describe your interest in the Foothill College Honors Institute.
- Your statement should include what you hope to gain from your participation in the program as well as how you believe you will contribute to the program.
- Because honors courses are typically writing intensive, this statement should reflect appropriate writing skills.
- Remember that clear writing is the result of clear thinking.