Group of students


Travel Inside the USA

We recommend that students traveling inside the USA carry the following documents:

  • Government-issued photo ID (drivers license or California ID card or passport)
    • Must be current (not expired)
    • Using drivers license?  Carry a photocopy of your passport photo page and your F-1 visa.
    • Copy of your current I-20

Travel Outside the USA

Your I-20 must be signed for travel on page 2 to re-enter the USA

  • Signature must be less than 6 months old
  • Bring your I-20 to the office 3 weeks before you travel

Carry these documents when you travel

  • I-20 with current travel signature
  • Passport (valid 6 months in the future)
  • Current F-1 visa in your passport (must be valid when you return to the USA)
  • Copy of your Foothill transcript (Unofficial transcript OK)

Traveling to Canada or Mexico? You may need a visa or tourist card to visit these countries.

Canada visa information:

Mexico tourist card (FMM) information:

Expired Visa?

You must receive a new F-1 visa in your home country before you return to the USA

  • Schedule the visa appointment date to be as soon as possible after you arrive in your country
  • Review the visa requirements for your country at ____
    • Many students must be fingerprinted before their visa appointment
    • Bring your financial documents and an official Foothill transcript to the visa appointment
    • Plan to renew your visa during summer or winter break, to allow enough time for your visa to be processed.

Questions? Come to the International Office. We are happy to help you.

ph default text

Questions?We're Here to Help!

International Student Programs Office


Administration Building 1900 Room 1933