Group of students

Current International Students

Transfer Out of Foothill to a New School

International students in F-1 status transferring from one school/university in the U.S. to another are required to complete a special immigration transfer process. Failure to comply with the transfer regulations in a timely manner can be a violation of immigration regulations.

Steps to Transfer Out of Foothill

  1. You must be fully admitted by the school/university to which you intend to transfer. Conditional Admission does not count (example, acceptance is conditional on the requirement that you complete a specific class and earn a specific grade in your last term at Foothill).
    1. Caution: If you do not meet the condition(s) or provision(s) specified by the new school, they will rescind your admission.
    2. Submit the following documents to the International Student Office: A copy of your acceptance letter, plus a completed Foothill Transfer Out Request Form.
      1. Your new school may also give you its own transfer form to be completed by our office. If so, include the form with your acceptance letter and completed Transfer Out Request Form
      2. You cannot request a transfer out until the 9th week of the quarter. If you believe you have a special situation, meet with an immigration advisor during drop-in hours.
      3. Once you submit these documents, our international student advisor will review your documents and verify that you are in lawful immigration status. Since the review process can take 1 to 2 weeks, please submit your request as early as possible.
      4. If approved, Foothill will enter the name of the school/university you want to transfer to and the "release date" into SEVIS. The "release date" is the official last day of your last quarter as stated in the Foothill College schedule. Foothill cannot change your transfer after the release date.

How do I Receive an I-20 from the New School/University?

Under SEVIS regulations, your new school cannot issue an I-20 until the "release date." Contact your new school about any forms or specific procedures required to receive your new I-20.

What if I want to travel outside the USA after I complete my classes at Foothill, but before I begin classes at the new school/university?

If you travel outside the USA, you must use the I-20 of the new school to return to the USA. It is a violation of immigration regulations to use the Foothill I-20 to reenter if you are going to attend another school/university.

Do I need a new F-1 visa because I am changing schools, and the name of the new school/university is not on my visa?

No, you do not have to apply for a new F-1 visa even if the name of the new school is not on your current unexpired visa. However, if your F-1 visa is expired or you don't have an F-1 visa in your passport and you plan to travel outside the U.S. and need to reenter, you should apply for a new F-1 visa.

ph default text

Questions?We're Here to Help!

International Student Programs Office


Administration Building 1900 Room 1933