Degrees, Certificates, &Transfer Programs
Associate Degree for Transfer-Public Health Science 2018-2019
The Associate in Science in Public Health Science for Transfer degree prepares students for transfer to California State Universities (CSUs). Students who complete the degree will be ensured preferential transfer status to CSUs for Public Health majors and majors in related disciplines. The Associate in Science in Public Health Science for Transfer degree requirements will fulfill the lower division major requirements at many CSUs. Students are advised, however, to meet with a counselor to determine the lower division course requirements for specific CSUs. This degree may also provide excellent preparation for other majors. The major in Public Health prepares students for careers in the health professions, local state and federal agencies, health departments, educational institutions, healthcare organizations and health insurance companies, research organizations, crisis agencies, and many other fields. This degree is designed to prepare graduates for public health and related programs at the bachelor’s degree level.
Program Learning Outcomes:
• Students will be able to identify, assess, utilize and articulate credible information resources on personal and public health current issues, such as the Internet, social media, media outlets, and libraries.
• Students will be able to effectively communicate strategies or tactics to improve health inequalities, such as advocacy, community organizing, and/or policy change.
• Students will obtain a critical understanding and apply knowledge of Personal and Public Health in real life settings from the sub-disciplines of Human Anatomy and Physiology, Statistics, Chemistry, and Psychology.
Units required for Major: 90
Associate in Science in Public Health Science for Transfer requires completion of a minimum of 90 units to include:
• CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or the *Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) (49-58 units) (full certification is required)
• Core and support courses (48-51 units, of which 25-35 units may satisfy the GE requirement)
• Transferable electives necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be completed with a grade of "C" (or "P") or better. In addition, the student must obtain a minimum GPA of 2.0.
*IMPORTANT NOTE: Although it is possible to fulfill the requirements for the Associate Degree for Transfer by completing the IGETC for UC pattern, admission to CSU requires completion of an Oral Communication course (IGETC Area 1C; CSU GE Area A-1); therefore, students who plan to transfer to CSU should complete this course as part of their GE or elective units.
Core Courses (44-45 units)
BIOL 1A Principles of Cell Biology (6 units)
or BIOL 10 General Biology: Basic Principles (5 units)
or BIOL 14 Human Biology (5 units)
BIOL 40A Human Anatomy & Physiology I (5 units)
BIOL 40B Human Anatomy & Physiology II (5 units)
BIOL 40C Human Anatomy & Physiology III (5 units)
CHEM 25 Foundations of Chemistry (5 units)
HLTH 20 Introduction to Public Health (5 units)
HLTH 21 Contemporary Health Concerns (4 units)
MATH 10 Elementary Statistics (5 units)
or PSYC 7 Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences (5 units)
or SOC 7 Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences (5 units)
PSYC 1 General Psychology (5 units)
or PSYC 1H Honors General Psychology (5 units)
Support Courses (4-6 units)
Complete ONE course from the following:
ACTG 1A Financial Accounting I (5 units)
BIOL 41 Microbiology (6 units)
BIOL 45 Introduction to Human Nutrition (4 units)
ECON 1A Principles of Macroeconomics (5 units)
ECON 1B Principles of Microeconomics (5 units)
HLTH 22 Health & Social Justice (4 units)
HLTH 23 Drugs, Health & Society (4 units)
KINS 1 Introduction to Kinesiology (5 units)
PHYS 12 Introduction to Modern Physics (5 units)
PSYC 40 Human Development (5 units)
PSYC 49 Human Sexuality (4 units)
SOC 1 Introduction to Sociology (5 units)
or SOC 1H Honors Introduction to Sociology (5 units)
2018-2019 | Status: Approved | Modified: 2018-04-20 12:53:38 | Dept Code: HLTH