Degrees, Certificates, &Transfer Programs
Non-Credit: English as a Second Language for Food Service Workers 2018-2019
The Certificate of Completion in English as a Second Language for Food Service Workers prepares students for employment in the food service or culinary industry. Students will be exposed to vocabulary and grammar essential to working in kitchens, in addition to finding jobs in food service. Focus is on improving comprehension and communication in a food service workplace, and developing reading/writing/speaking/listening skills needed for job searching and interviewing while developing an improved understanding of American work culture.
Program Learning Outcomes:
• The student will be proficient in basic kitchen vocabulary, common safety and sanitation and food storage language.
• The student will be able to understand and complete typical work forms.
• The student will be proficient in following recipes and reading/converting units of measurement.
• The student will be proficient in the use of language for job interactions and advocacy (asking for time off, a raise/advancement).
• The student will be able to navigate interviews and discuss work history, skills, training, and education, as well as demonstrate knowledge of American work culture.
Units required for Certificate: 144 hoursCC = Certificate of Completion.
English as a Second Language for Food Service Workers Certificate of Completion (144 hours) [Non-Transcriptable]
NCEL 470 Low to Intermediate Vocational ESL for Food Workers (48 hours)
NCEL 471 Intermediate to Advanced ESL for Food Workers (48 hours)
NCEL 480 ESL for Job Searching (48 hours)
2018-2019 | Status: Approved | Modified: 2018-04-20 12:58:35 | Dept Code: NCEL