Degrees, Certificates, &Transfer Programs
Physics, the fundamental science, conceptualizes the basic principles of the universe and establishes the foundation for astronomy, chemistry and geology. The beauty of physics lies in a small number of powerful concepts which expand our view of the world around us and which lead to many engineering applications from which we derive many benefits.
Program Learning Outcomes:
• Students will know basic physics principles.
• Students will be able to apply their knowledge to practical, theoretical and experimental problems.
• Students will be prepared to advance to the next step in careers in science, industry and education.
Units required for Major: 59
• English proficiency: ENGL 1A, 1AH, 1S & 1T, or equivalent.
• Mathematics proficiency: MATH 17, 105, 108, 180, or equivalent.
A minimum of 90 units is required* to include:
• Completion of one of the following general education patterns: Foothill General Education, CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
• Core courses (59 units)
*Additional elective course work may be necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement for the associate degree.
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be taken for a letter grade. In addition, a grade of "C" or better is required for all core courses used for the degree.
Suggested Preparatory Courses for Degree::
PHYS 2A, 6 or equivalent;
MATH 1A or 1AH or equivalent;
CHEM 25 or equivalent.
Core Courses (59 units)
CHEM 1A General Chemistry (5 units)
or CHEM 1AH Honors General Chemistry (5 units)
CHEM 1B General Chemistry (5 units)
or CHEM 1BH Honors General Chemistry (5 units)
MATH 1B Calculus (5 units)
or MATH 1BH Honors Calculus II (5 units)
MATH 1C Calculus (5 units)
MATH 1D Calculus (5 units)
MATH 2A Differential Equations (5 units)
MATH 2B Linear Algebra (5 units)
PHYS 4A General Physics (Calculus) (6 units)
PHYS 4B General Physics (Calculus) (6 units)
PHYS 4C General Physics (Calculus) (6 units)
PHYS 4D General Physics (Calculus) (6 units)
2018-2019 | Status: Approved | Modified: 2018-08-06 07:56:58 | Dept Code: PHYS