Degrees, Certificates, &Transfer Programs
Spanish is the language of the majority of Western hemisphere countries and is also the fastest growing language in California. For those planning to work in the health industry, education, law or public service, knowledge of Spanish is an invaluable asset. A degree in Spanish is an excellent way to expand career opportunities.
Program Learning Outcomes:
• The student will be able to communicate with native speakers of Spanish, using the appropriate language for any given situation.
• The student will, by presenting research, demonstrate knowledge of Hispanic society, culture, and politics.
Units required for Major: 27-30
• English proficiency: ENGL 1A, 1AH, 1S & 1T, or equivalent.
• Mathematics proficiency: MATH 17, 105, 108, 180, or equivalent.
A minimum of 90 units is required* to include:
• Completion of one of the following general education patterns: Foothill General Education, CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
• Core courses (15-30 units)
• Support courses (0-12 units)
*Additional elective course work may be necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement for the associate degree.
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be taken for a letter grade. In addition, a grade of "C" or better is required for all core and support courses used for the degree.
Core Courses (15-30 units)
SPAN 1 Elementary Spanish I (5 units)
SPAN 2 Elementary Spanish II (5 units)
SPAN 3 Elementary Spanish III (5 units)
SPAN 4 Intermediate Spanish I (5 units)
SPAN 5 Intermediate Spanish II (5 units)
SPAN 6 Intermediate Spanish III (5 units)
Note: For students who can demonstrate proficiency equivalent to one year of college Spanish, SPAN 1, 2 and 3 may be waived. However, if you are waived out of SPAN 1-2-3 (15 units), you must take 12 units from the support courses below to satisfy the 27-unit core requirement.
Support Courses (0-12 units)
For students waived out of SPAN 1-2-3, select 12 units from the following*:
SPAN 10A Spanish for Heritage Speakers (5 units)
SPAN 13A Intermediate Conversation I (4 units)
SPAN 13B Intermediate Conversation II (4 units)
SPAN 14A Advanced Conversation I (4 units)
SPAN 14B Advanced Conversation II (4 units)
SPAN 25A Advanced Composition & Reading I (4 units)
SPAN 25B Advanced Composition & Reading II (4 units)
* Students completing the full core course sequence (SPAN 1-6) are not required to complete support courses for the degree.
2018-2019 | Status: Approved | Modified: 2018-08-06 07:57:59 | Dept Code: SPAN