Teaching & Learning Center
Practice Your English Speaking and Listening Skills
Many students comment that they have some difficulty understanding rapidly delivered lectures, and may lack the confidence or vocabulary to engage in verbal conversations with American classmates.
The Chat Café offers a comfortable and informal environment for anyone, especially international students, to practice speaking and listening to English.
- Each group is led by an English speaker.
- We talk with each other, and we also listen to recorded media to practice hearing comprehension.
- We also make friends with each other across national boundaries.
- There are no assignments, and the atmosphere is very informal.
- Everyone is welcome.
What subjects do we cover? Anything that you want to talk about!
Days, Times, and Location--Fall 2018
Tuesdays at 2:30pm in the Teaching & Learning Center (Room 3602)
- This Chat Café workshop will focus on discussing topics related to Physical Geography.
Wednesdays at 4pm in the Teaching & Learning Center (Room 3602)
- This Chat Café workshop will focus on discussing personal insight questions for UC/CSU Applications.
Fridays at 12pm in the Teaching & Learning Center (Room 3603)
- The focus of this Chat Café workshop may change each week; topics will vary.
- You are welcome to bring food and drinks.
Everyone is Invited to Join In!
If you are already skilled in English, please join us. You can contribute to the learning process and meet some new friends as well.
What Students Say
JunKai Jin, writing in “The Script”, Foothill’s Student newspaper, 20 June 2017
As an international student who has adapted to US culture, I have some suggestions for my classmates. Most of the international students are not really good at English when they just come here, and then most of them are afraid of communicating with the native speakers and only meet friends who come from the same country as them. As a result, they don’t have the chance to speak English and cannot improve without practice. Don’t be afraid of using English to communicate with other students. Use English as much as you can, because practice is the best way to improve English.
The Chat Café exists to help with this!
If you have questions, ask the people at the Teaching & Learning Center front desk or send an e-mail to TLC@fhda.edu.