Foothill Teacher Corps
Guatemala Teacher Corps
Teach English to Students in Antigua, Guatemala in 2024
Through our partnership with Bay Area nonprofit Dream Volunteers, Foothill College will sponsor four (4) students to teach English to students at a K-12 school in the beautiful colonial town of Antigua, Guatemala during the 2024 winter (virtually) and spring quarters (travel restrictions permitting).
- During the winter quarter, you will spend approximately 2-3 hours per day, Monday through Friday teaching and planning virtual lessons for elementary or secondary school children. You will need to have access to a computer with a camera and reliable wifi to carry out the lessons using the Zoom platform.
- During the spring quarter (travel permitting), you will spend 4 hours per day teaching and planning lessons for elementary or secondary school children in Antigua.
- You will also have the option of receiving virtual (winter quarter) or face-to-face (spring quarter) professional Spanish instruction for 1 hour per day, Monday through Friday.
- If chosen to participate, Dream Volunteers and Foothill staff will provide you with pre-program training as well as ongoing coaching throughout the internship. Instructional materials will be provided by the school site in Guatemala.
- You will also be expected to be enrolled in a minimum of 9 units at Foothill during the course of the internship. Spring quarter units would be online if you are able to travel.
Who Should Apply
Anyone who has considered engaging in service abroad is encouraged to apply. This will be a particular good fit for people interested in the following: education, international development, Spanish, social justice, service leadership and global studies.
Basic Cost Covered By Service Leadership Grant
The basic costs of participation, including airfare, lodging, meals and in-country staff support, will be covered by a Foothill College.
Lodging and Accommodations
Students with financial needs, as determined by FAFSA, will receive a $100 per month stipend ($300 in Winter quarter and $300 in Spring quarter).
Spring Quarter (Travel Permitting) includes travel, lodging and food expenses.
- You will stay in a small, private hostel in central Antigua, run by a local family who has long worked with Dream Volunteers student volunteers
- You will share a room and bathroom with at least one other Foothill student. Enjoy 3 meals a day, 6 days a week at the hostel. Accommodations can be made for food allergies or dietary restrictions.
- The hostel is within walking distance from the school where you will be teaching.
(Note: Unfortunately students with F1 visas are ineligible due to visa restrictions.)
- Applicant must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units at Foothill College at the time of application. If chosen, student will be expected to be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units during Winter and Spring 2023 via online courses while in the internship.
- In addition to “My Story” essay, applicant should demonstrate their interest in global equity issues by submitting 300-400 word essay and be sure to include what motivated you to apply for this program, what skills, background and experience you bring to this program.
- Although all application packets will be considered, those with a demonstrated financial need will receive priority should a tie-breaker be required. Applicants are encouraged to file a 2023-24 financial aid application (the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov for U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens, or the California Dream Act Application for undocumented students who qualify for AB540 status).
- If selected, student must be able to secure recommended vaccinations and have a valid passport to travel by departure date.