Personal Trainer Program
Become a Personal Trainer
Earn a Certificate of Achievement
Select program map for a possible schedule that fulfills program and college requirements.
For program requirements and full course listings, view certificate information.
About the Program
You can complete the 35-unit Personal Trainer Certificate in Achievement in one year. If you work full time, you may prefer to complete program courses in four or more quarters.
Our program emphasizes anatomy, exercise physiology, and psychology, as well as small business
practices and a fitness industry internship.
I truly appreciate the diverse curriculum covered in the personal trainer program.We cover recreational and athletic fitness. We also learn how to work with clients from all walks of life, including older adults and special populations. I highly recommend this program.
You’ll receive leading-edge theoretical and technical instruction to help you develop knowledge of exercise science, fitness assessment, program design and implementation, nutrition, injury prevention and rehabilitation, equipment training, and small business administration.
You’ll develop important job skills that employers demand, including interpersonal communication, collaboration, creativity, honesty, leadership and motivation, teamwork, patience and enthusiasm, as well as the ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
Rewarding Career Opportunities
Work as a fitness paraprofessional
- Athletics coach
- Group exercise/physical activities leader
- Lifestyle management consultant
- Physical education instructor
- Special populations director
- Strength coach.
- Prepare to take exams for certifications awarded by the National Academy of Sports Medicine, American Council on Exercise
and American College of Sports Medicine.
- Gain the foundation for a related career as a physical therapist, chiropractor or adapted physical education instructor.
- You may enroll in the program at any time.
- To register, submit the free application for admission to Foothill College and create a myportal.fhda.edu account. There is no fee to apply!
- To earn the certificate, you must complete the prescribed courses with a minimum grade-point average of 2.0, and demonstrate proficiency in math and English.
- The certificate also complements the Foothill College Associate in Science Degree in Athletic Injury Care and Associate in Arts Degree in Physical Education.
Program Course Overview
For a list and decriptions of program courses, see certificate requirements.
I'm Here to Help!
Don Mac Neil, Personal Trainer Program Director
Building 2700, Office 2701
Division Office Contacts
|Mike Teijeiro, Interim Division Dean
|Mike Teijeiro, Athletic Director
Senior Administrative Assistant
|Kinesiology & Athletics Division|