PRE-STEM Summer Institute
Are you from a group that is underrepresented in STEM?
Nervous about starting at Foothill?
Want to get ready in a structured environment?
Interested in STEM but haven’t had a chance to explore?
Want to explore how technology can be used for SOCIAL IMPACT?
July 18 - August 5, 2022
Mondays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Fridays, 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
IN-PERSON at Foothill College
The PRE-STEM Summer Institute is a free three week program for incoming Foothill College students looking to earn a STEM degree. Through the summer institute, you will:
- Gain exposure to and skills in data science as a tool for social impact.
- Build confidence in math in preparation for precalculus in the fall.
- Collaborate with others on social impact project simulations.
- Connect with other students who are interested in STEM fields and entering Foothill in the fall.
- Get ready and support for starting Foothill College in the fall.
This is a FREE program and we will be looking to provide transportation for individuals who need that service.
Please download the one-page overview and outreach flyer with more information (also included below)
How do I apply?
- Foothill College application: You have to be a new incoming Foothill College student, so you should first have filled out the Foothill College application for the fall.
- PRE-STEM Program Form: The summer institute is a precursor to PRE-STEM, a school year program at Foothill focused on preparation and persistence in STEM disciplines. The TechCore Summer Institute is a program for students who have committed to participating in PRE-STEM.
If you have questions, please contact SLI@foothill.edu.
How do I know if the program is for me?
Consider the following to decide if TechCore Summer Institute is right for you!
- Are you starting Foothill College in the fall as a STEM major and looking for a community of support?
- Are you a graduating high school student or equivalency earner interested in science, technology, computer science, math, or engineering (STEM) but haven’t had the opportunity to explore?
- Are you worried about being prepared for college and want to get a head start with math and study skills? If yes, this program is for you!
- No prior experience and skills necessary.
- Course materials will be provided, including laptops and Wi-Fi hotspots on loan.
- Will you be taking classes in-person at Foothill in the fall?
Note: If you have already taken computer science courses, taken AP calculus, or participated in STEM programs extensively, this program may not be a good fit for you.
What does "underrepresented in STEM" mean?
"Underrepresented in STEM" means any group/ identity that is not seen in large numbers that are proportional to that group/ identity's numbers in the general population. SLI considers the following groups to be underrepresented:
- women and nonbinary individuals
- Black, Latinx, Pacific Islander, Southeast Asian (Vietnamese, Cambodian, Thai, Burmese, Malaysian, and Indonesian) individuals
- low-income and first generation college going individuals
- people who are neurodiverse.
What will the summer institute look like?
This is a fully in-person program.
- Mondays through Thursdays - 10am - 4pm
- Fridays - 10am - 12:30pm
- 45 minute lunch included
Other aspects of the program to expect:
- Working in groups and getting to know the other participants in the program
- Connection with the facilitators and current Foothill students serving as peer mentors
- Guest speakers, teambuilding
What will I gain from this program?
This program will be in-person at Foothill.
The morning session will be spent gaining data science skills and working on a social impact group project with the support of Foothill College student mentors.
The afternoon will be a combination of a math skills workshop, college readiness workshops, and group work from the morning session.
Participation in this program requires attendance to the whole day session.
Students who complete the program will receive a certificate of participation.
How can I find out more?
There are a few ways to find out more:
- Online info sessions - see the Interest and Application page for more information
- Set up an appointment with the SLI Director.
- Fill out this short interest form and we will follow up with you to help answer any questions you have.
- Watch a short video overview about the program.
Connection to PRE-STEM
The PRE-STEM Summer Institute is a program component of PRE-STEM. All PRE-STEM students are invited to join in the PRE-STEM Summer Institute to get ready to start Foothill in the fall.
STEM Resources & Opportunities
Sign up to receive emails about internships, scholarships, conferences, and other opportunities for students in STEM.
I'm Here to Help!
Sophia Kim, SLI Director
Bldg 4400, Office 4408