Bachelor of Science Degree in Dental Hygiene
|Program: Dental Hygiene
Length: 2 years
Number Accepted: 24
Application Due: Feb. 8, 2018
Prerequisites: Yes — See program requirements below
Approx. Cost of Program: $13,000 (Instrument kit $5,000)
National Lic./Cert.: Yes
State Lic.Cert.: Yes
Est. Annual Salary: $50,000-$125,000
Dental Hygiene Program Application Night
For Entry-Level Program — Meet faculty and students to learn about rewarding career options and the application process.
Please bring $3.00 for a parking permit if you are not currently taking classes at Foothill this quarter.
Required Prerequisite Coursework
- Minimum cumulative college GPA of 2.5
- The biological sciences courses must be passed with a 2.75 GPA or higher.
- Completion of CSU or IGETC pattern general education (includes many of the courses listed below)
- English composition, reading, critical thinking (2 quarters or semesters) – coursework equivalent to ENGL 1A, 1B also permit 1AH, 1BH, 1CH, 1S & 1T, and ESLL 26, C-ID equivalents are C-ID ENGL 100, 105, 110)
- Introduction to speech or communication (1 quarter or semester) – must be a transferable course– coursework equivalent to COMM 1A or COMM 1AH
- Introduction to sociology (1 quarter or semester) – coursework equivalent to SOC 1 (C-ID descriptor is C-ID SOCI 110)
- General psychology (1 quarter or semester) – coursework equivalent to PSYC 1, C-ID descriptor is C-ID PSY 110
- Health (1 quarter or semester) - coursework equivalent to HLTH 21, C-ID or Health 20
- Statistics (1 quarter or semester) - coursework equivalent to MATH 10, C-ID descriptor is C-ID MATH 110
- Survey of inorganic, organic and biochemistry and labs (2 quarters or semesters) – coursework equivalent to CHEM 30A & 30B
- Dental Hygiene 200L – Orientation to Dental Hygiene, take at Foothill College, offered online every quarter
- Human nutrition (1 quarter or semester) – must be a transferable course coursework equivalent to Bio 45, C-ID descriptor is C-ID NUTR 110
- Microbiology with lab (1 quarter or semester) – must be a transferable course,, coursework equivalent to Bio 41, No C-ID descriptor yet
- Pharmacology (1 quarter or semester) coursework equivalent to Bio 58, No C-ID descriptor yet
- General anatomy and physiology with labs (1 year) – coursework equivalent to Bio 40A, 40B, 40C C-ID descriptor is C-ID BIO 155 S or C-ID BIO 110B and 120B
BS in Dental Hygiene – Entry-level Education Plan Example
- Preparation for the major = 91.5 quarter units (first two years)
- Majors courses & upper division GE = 107 quarter units
- Download >> Entry-Level Education Plan Example (Updated for 2017-2018)
Apply for the 2018 Program
Important changes have been made for the 2018 application year. PLEASE READ the program application carefully.
The Dental Hygiene Program is a Bachelor in Science degree program, under the pilot program (SB 850), authorized by the State Chancellor's Office.
The program is highly academic, with an emphasis on evidence based practice and clinical skills to prepare students to assess the medical/dental status of patients, develop a dental hygiene care plan, implement appropriate dental hygiene care, and evaluate outcomes.
The Commission on Dental Accreditation accredits the Foothill College Dental Hygiene Program.
Graduates are eligible to take the National Dental Hygiene Board Examination and qualify for the State or Regional Registered Dental Hygiene licensure examination.
Questions?We're Here to Help!
Jenevieve Alvarez, Health Career Coordinator