subpage flowers image

Dental Assisting

Q. Is the Dental Assisting Program accredited?

The Foothill College Dental Assisting Program is accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation, hereafter referred to as "the Commission." The Commission is a specialized accrediting agency recognized by the Council on Post secondary Accreditation and the U.S. Department of Education. The Commission conducts the accreditation and site visit process and recommends re-accreditation. The most recent accreditation took place for the Foothill Dental Assisting Program in June of 2018.

Q. What are the minimum qualifications needed to apply to the program?

The minimum qualifications are:

  • a high school graduation/diploma or equivalent i.e. GED certificate.
  • minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0
  • compliance with the technical standards

Q. When is the deadline for the application?

The application deadline is August 1 each year or until filled. Applications are available year-round. The earlier a complete application is submitted, the earlier a student can be screened for fall admission to the program. Applications on file before August 1 for the incoming fall class will have priority. Students can continue to apply after August 1, and will be notified if/when there are openings in the program. Twenty four full-time students are admitted to the program each Fall. The students start in the Fall quarter (September), and graduate in June each year. 

Q. After I submit my application, then what happens?

If there are openings in the program, you will be contacted via email, and granted a provisional acceptance. Additional notices will be emailed throughout the summer, with further instructions and deadlines.

Q. Will I get any dental office experience?

You will be required to work in a dental office as part of your training. Students work one day a week as a dental assistant in Fall quarter. In Winter quarter, the students work two days a week as a dental assistant at the University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry. In Spring quarter, the students work two days a week as a dental assisting "intern" in a general dental office or in a specialty dental office. This is an unpaid internship required to maintain our accreditation.

Q. Does your program do job placement?

Although the program prepares our graduates for seeking jobs i.e. resume writing, front and back office training, etc., we have found that it is not necessary to assist students with finding jobs. The Foothill College Dental Assisting program has an excellent reputation in the dental community, and our students do not have trouble finding job opportunities. In fact, many students are offered jobs while they are still in the program, either at the dental school rotation or in their "internship" rotation. Graduates and students can access the Job Posting Board on this website.

Q. Where do I get financial aid information?

 For information on financial assistance, scholarship and grants, contact the Foothill College Financial Aid Office or see the Online Financial Aid Guide.

Q. How do I apply for admission to Foothill College?

Contact Foothill College Admissions and Records or see the Online Registration Information.

Q. What are the pass rates for the state licensing exam?

Click below link  for all California approved RDA (Registered Dental Assisting) program pass rates. 


image descriptive text

We're Here to Help!

Health Sciences and Horticulture Career Support