Closing the Achievement Gap, One Success Story at a Time
The Office of Equity and Inclusion was created to develop and support a culture of equity at Foothill College that promotes student success, particularly for underserved students.
It supports the district and college missions, which define equity as efforts to close the achievement gap across all student outcomes.
The office's functions are guided by the goals and initiatives stated in the College's educational master plan (EMP) and student equity plan (SEP).
Strategic Planning Documents
Download the most current PDFs for the Foothill College plans here:
- 2016-2022 Educational Master Plan (3.3 MB, 334 pages)
- 2015-2016 Student Equity Plan (2.3 MB, 63 pages)
- Implement activities to improve the achievement of student outcomes
- Support initiatives that reduce barriers and facilitate students' access and success
- Ensure alignment and integration across various college initiatives, including the Basic Skills Initiative, Student Success and Support Program, and Student Equity Plan.
Types of Activities
Activities developed through our office seek to create a culture of equity that promotes student success.
- Facilitation of a Student Success and Retention Team with members from both student services and instruction to provide both operational support and program coordination to equity activities.
- Coordination of early intervention programs, such as Early Alert, supplemental instruction and Summer Bridge programs, that integrates Student Services and Instruction to provide student engagement and support for a variety of needs,
- Development of a mentoring program that includes faculty and staff as well as peer to peer mentoring and is integrated with other early intervention efforts.
- Expand professional development to provide support for change as well as support for practical and tangible activities to better serve and support underserved students.
- Application of a robust research agenda with tools to provide faculty and staff data showing the most productive ways to help students.
Professional Development Workshops
We're Here to Help!
Melissa Cervantes, Dean Office of Equity and Inclusion
Administration Building, 1944