Dreamer Mural

DREAMers and UndocuALLY

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to be a citizen to be admitted to Foothill College?

No, citizenship status is not a requirement for admission. However, California residency or AB 540/AB 2000 eligibility is required for in-state tuition. Please note you will need to meet residency requirements of AB 540 to be eligible for in-state tuition. If you do not meet the AB 540 requirements, you will be required to pay nonresident fees.

Students enjoy a level of privacy in their educational records under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and numerous other state and federal laws. We consider student information disclosing immigration status to the College as part of student’s educational record. Although FERPA protects education records, please bear in mind this law and most other privacy laws have exceptions which place limits on the College’s ability to provide absolute protection for these records. In the matter of a record regarding immigration status, Foothill College can protect student privacy information from federal agents to a point, but Foothill College is not in a position where it can guarantee such protection. If the agency has a warrant or subpoena for documents, FERPA privacy rights would no longer apply and the College would be obligated to turn over records responsive to a legitimate subpoena, warrant or other court order.  Any release of private records will only occur after careful review to determine whether the College has a legal obligation.

When completing the Foothill College application on OpenCCC, how do I fill out the social security question?

When you are filling out an application for Foothill College, OpenCCC complete the citizenship portion as it best describes your current immigration status.

Please note you will need to meet residency requirements of AB 540 to be eligible for in-state tuition. If you do not meet the AB 540 requirements, you will be required to pay nonresident fees.

How do I apply for AB540/AB 2000 status?

Applicants must submit an AB 540/AB 2000 Affidavit (Foothill College Residency determination) to the Office of Admissions and Records, Building 8100. AB 540/AB 2000 does not grant residency status; it exempts/waives you from paying non-resident tuition fees. You will continue to be classified as a non-resident but pay in-state fees.

What do I do if I am classified as an undocumented student and my immigration status changes?

If you or your family have taken steps to obtain or legalize your status (e.g. permanent resident, asylum, family unity program, etc.), you may also apply for in-state tuition fees under California Community College Title 5, Chapter 2 “Residency Regulations and Requirements for Undocumented Aliens” 2.22. Through this process you would then be eligible for state aid, provided you meet any additional requirements set forth by those programs.

What is the ITIN?

The ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) is a tax processing number, issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), for certain resident and non-resident aliens, their spouses, and their dependents. It's a nine-digit number beginning with the number “9” and is formatted like a SSN (example: 9XX-XX-XXXX). For more information visit the IRS website.

Can I apply for financial aid?

Undocumented students are not eligible for Federal Financial Aid. However, students can apply for state financial aid through the California Dream Act. For additional information contact the financial aid office and request staff with expertise in working with undocumented students.

Can I apply for financial aid if my parents/guardians are undocumented?

Students that are U.S. citizens whose parents are undocumented are eligible to complete the FAFSA as long as parents file income taxes with an ITIN. For additional information contact the financial aid office and request staff with expertise in working with mixed status families.

Can my parents’ ITIN be used on the FAFSA?

No. ITINs are used for tax purposes only and are not intended to serve any other purpose. However, for citizen students with undocumented parents/guardians, you enter nine zeros (000-00-0000) in place of your parent’s social security number.

I am a DACA student. Am I eligible for FAFSA?

No, undocumented students with DACA are still undocumented and are not eligible to receive federal aid and should never complete the FAFSA. Undocumented students should only complete the California Dream Act Application.

I currently qualify for AB540. In the event that my DACA is rescinded, will I continue to qualify for AB540?

If your DACA is rescinded, this will not affect your AB 540 status as long as you keep attending classes at Foothill and maintain your residency status.

Are undocumented students eligible for scholarships?

Undocumented students are eligible for scholarships as long as they meet the scholarship criteria. Some college scholarships are awarded based on academic achievement, or financial need, or other criteria.  There are many private organizations that award scholarships based upon a variety of criteria.

What assistance is available to AB 540/AB 2000 students?

California Dream Act (AB 130 and AB 131) allows students who qualify under AB 540/AB 2000 to apply for non-state funded scholarships.

Does my current immigration status limit my choice of certificates or degrees at Foothill?

There may be some degrees and certificates that will require additional licensure and certification requirements, such as EMT or Paramedic. It is important for students to be aware of the requirements prior to choosing a degree or certificate program.

What kind of documentation do I need to get a Foothill College student ID card?

Students need to provide a valid form of identification with a photograph. This would include one of the following: a school ID card, a valid driver’s license, or a current passport. 

Traducir al Español

dreamers and undocually butterfly

We're Here to Help!

Student Affairs & Activities



Building 2100, Room 2149