Global Experiential Learning
Study Abroad in Florence, Italy, Spring 2023
THIS PROGRAM HAS ENDED - We had a fabulous time in Florence!
- SATURDAY, APRIL 29, 2023 (arrive in Florence)
- FRIDAY, JUNE 23, 2023 (depart from Florence)
Stepping Into Global Citizenship: Discovery and Experience in Florence
While studying in Florence, the birthplace of the Italian Renaissance, we will examine the idea of ‘re-birth’ as it applies to the contemporary world: Whose story are we telling? Through an exploration of arts and politics we will write our own stories, discover our own place within humanity, and experience the power of global citizenship.
Program Learning Outcomes
By the end of the program, you will be able to:
- Discover your own sense of self as a global citizen.
- Develop an appreciation for other cultures and nations.
- Engage your responsibilities as a global citizen.
- Recognize the relationship between art and politics.
- Examine how art, politics, and culture shape the multiplicity of worlds in the modern era.
- Design for the future.
- Milissa Carey (Music/Theatre Arts)
- Kerri Ryer (Political Science/Global Studies)
Music and Theatre
- MUS 2A Great Composers & Music Masterpieces (Honors option too!)
- MUS 13A Classical Voice
- THTR 1 Introduction to Theatre
Political Science, History, and Global Studies
- GLST 1 Introduction to Global Studies
- HIST 4B History of Western Civilization: 700-1800
- POLI 3 Introduction to Political Philosophy / Political Theory (Honors option too!)
- POLI 2 Comparative Government & Politics (Honors option too!)
Foothill College partners with AIFS Abroad to support our students and faculty during our Study Abroad academic programs.
Application and Costs
Application Process and Deadline
As part of the application process, please complete the interest form to tell us a bit more about yourself. If you meet the initial program eligibility criteria, we'll provide the official program application, which will be due by Sunday, Jan. 29, 2023 (recently extended!). After January 29, applicants will be placed on a waitlist. (February 7 update: we are still adding students to a waitlist - please fill out the Interest Form and we will get back to you about your status.)
Tuition, Fees and Cost
- Application Deposit (paid to AIFS): $450
- Remaining program fees (paid to AIFS): $5895* — This fee may be reduced by $150 if we reach 60 applicants, so refer a friend!
- Final payment deadline: February 17, 2023
- Enrollment Fees & Tuition: Variable by units and residency status – see Student Fees & Tuition
NOTE: Financial Aid can be used for these programs. To learn more, contact our Financial Aid Office. Scholarships are also available, and applicaiton deadline coming up soon! Submit an interest form to find out more.
Included in program & registration fees
12-15 units of academic coursework:
- Transferrable with transcript from Foothill College
- Lectures in classrooms in the AIFS Florence Center located in the historic city center
- Faculty-led field trips
- Integrated experiential (out-of-the-classroom) learning opportunities in places of great cultural interest
A robust cultural program consisting of:
- Pre-departure and on-arrival orientation from AIFS hosts, including a comprehensive student information packet
- Regular workshops to develop skills for living abroad
- Guided walking tours of the city
- Weekly attendance at events in and around Florence, such as cooking classes, opera, theatre, a soccer match, entrances to museums and churches, etc.
- A full-day excursion to the Chianti wine country region (transportation, wine tasting and lunch included)
- A full-day excursion to Siena and San Gimignano (transportation and guided walking tour included)
Lodging and Other Accommodations
- Shared accommodation (in double rooms) in a fully-furnished apartment in the historic city center of Florence, including with towels, linens and wi-fi within walking distance of the program headquarters (classrooms, faculty offices, student supports)
- Self-catered meals, along with a meal vouchers for 10 meals at a selection of local restaurants, and welcome and farewell group meals
- First night in a hotel (double room) with breakfast, and taxi transportation to the apartments
- 24/7 AIFS emergency service with both a local number to reach on-site staff and toll-free number in the U.S.
- Student medical insurance policy
Optional (additional fees required)
- Single room option in the shared apartment for a supplemental fee of $795
- Single room option in the first night hotel for a supplemental fee
- Additional meal vouchers for a supplemental fee of $195 per 10-meal voucher set
- A three-day, two-night excursion to Rome, including round-trip transportation by train, accommodation in twin bedded rooms in a centrally located, tourist class hotel with daily breakfast, reserved entrance to the Colosseum and Roman Forum and the Vatican Museums with the services of a professional, English-speaking guide, and metro tickets as needed for a supplemental fee of $525 (minimum 15 students needed to run the trip)
- Private and/or small group Italian language classes (hours and supplemental fees TBD)
- Enhanced medical insurance for students for a supplemental fee of $65
Not included in program fees
- Food/meals, except for those included above
- Travel insurance (highly recommended)
- Textbooks/course materials
- Personal spending money
- Anything else not named above
Open to adults of all ages, experiences and physical capabilities who:
- Have earned a high school diploma or the equivalent
- Are able to travel abroad (hold/able to obtain a passport)
- Will enroll in a minimum of 12 units of the coursework offered as part of the Foothill College Florence Program (see above)
- Are ready for a once-in-a-lifetime adventure!
For more information, please reach out to the Office of Global Experiential Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org