Global Experiential Learning
Foothill Medical/Dental Brigades 2024
Travel to Honduras Aug. 13-19, 2024
Join our medical/dental brigade to Honduras this summer. The brigade is organized by students in the Foothill Medical/Dental Brigades Club in partnership with Global Brigades, Inc.
- Estimated Cost $2600 (includes lodging, meals, in-country transport, security, flight)
- Initial non-refundable $150 deposit due by April 30, 2024
- Participants enroll in AHS 55: Community Health Promotion (2 unit course, may be applied to the Bio-Health Diversity and Inclusion Leadership Certificate of Achievement, tuition not included in the $2600 brigade cost).
- Participants must meet vaccination requirements, including COVID-19 vaccination.
- Must have a passport valid through March 2025.
Got Questions? Want to Learn More?
Or email one of our Foothill Medical/Dental Brigade Club contacts!
- Foothill Medical/Dental Brigades Club at email@example.com
- Club advisors Karen Erickson and Lisa Schultheis at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
About the Program
The brigade is organized by students in the Foothill Medical/Dental Brigades Club in partnership with Global Brigades, Inc.
Our mission is to provide sustainable development to underserved communities throughout the world. Our Foothill team recruits student volunteers and medical/dental professionals for a medical/dental brigade to assist Honduran communities in need.
Volunteers gather supplies, fundraise, and travel to Honduras to set up free medical/dental clinics, implement public health infrastructure, and share important health and wellness information side-by-side with doctors, dentists and community members.
Support Our Foothill Brigade Students
In 2011, two socially-minded Biology students approached their biology teacher, Lisa Schultheis, about traveling to Central America with Global Brigade, to provide healthcare to rural villagers.
Since then, the first Foothill College Global Brigade traveled to Honduras in a unique Medical/Dental Brigade, bringing a group of pre-health students and dental hygiene students to remote areas of Honduras. Our students worked alongside local doctors and dentists who knew the local culture and the language, assisting and shadowing them as they administered needed dental and medical care in an holistic approach.
Yearly trips since then to Central America by our Foothill College Medical/Dental Brigade have included various BHS tenured and adjunct faculty from Biology, Dental Hygiene, Respiratory Therapy, EMS as well as the BHS Dean. Each year, student club leaders recruit new members and organize fundraising activities, raise money to pay for medicine, dental supplies and hygiene packs that they bring to the site for distribution.