Summer SLI Internships
SLI provides internship opportunities for Foothill College students during the summer. Stipends are provided through the generous support of SLI donors and allow students to pursue these opportunities.
Summer 2023 Summer Internship Opportunities
Through SLI, Foothill College students will have an opportunity to engage in an internship either in research or industry, under the guidance of a mentor/ supervisor. Institutions and companies include biotech startups, Stanford University, San Jose State University, and tech companies in the Bay Area.
We have a lot of resources for you as you prepare to apply for an SLI STEM internship:
- Student Interest Form - let us know if you are considering applying. We will be sending out updates and announcements if you have filled out this form. THIS IS NOT THE APPLICATION. It's just a preliminary step that is optional!
- Info Session Recording - review this to see Marissa Yáñez, SLI's STEM Workforce Specialist, present about the internships and how to prepare.
- Application Preparation Tips - review this to see what you can do before you even get into the Application form. There are concrete steps you can work on.
- FAQs about the Internships - these are questions asked by students interested, and we will continue to add to it as more questions come in.
Student Outreach and Information
There are two types of part-time internships – micro-internships which are a shorter time commitment, and regular internships which are for more hours per week.
Commitment of 6 – 7 hours each week for 9 or 10 weeks in summer 2023. The micro-internships will run from 7/5/23 - 9/1/23 (9 weeks) or 7/4/23 - 9/8/23 (10 weeks). Total hours for internship estimated at 60 - 70 hours.
Commitment of 15 or 20 hours each week for 9 or 10 weeks in summer 2023.
- The 9 week internships will run from 7/5/23 - 9/1/23 (estimated 135 hours for 15 weeks; 180 hours for 20 weeks).
- The 10 week internships will run from 7/5/23 - 9/8/23 (estimated 150 hours for 15 weeks, 200 hours for 20 weeks).
All internships require:
- Summer course enrollment in ITRN with Dr. Miloni Gandhi (depends on projected number of hours of internship). Course tuition will be covered by the Science Learning Institute or your financial aid.
- A program orientation during week 9 of spring quarter and a training on the first day of the internship on Wednesday, 7/5/23. These are run by the Science Learning Institute.
- Submission of a final report of your internship experience at the end of the summer.
- Final presentation at the end of August or early September for an audience of all interns and mentors in the program.
- Attendance at a biweekly (every other week) cohort seminar on professional development topics (included in your hours/week)
- All above activities/ sessions are included in the total hours of your internship, on top of the hours on your internship project.
Amount varies depending on internship selected
Micro-internship - $1100 (6 – 7 hours per week for 9 weeks) or $1200 (10 weeks)
Regular internship options
- 15 hours for 9 weeks - $2500
- 15 hours for 10 weeks - $2800
- 20 hours for 9 weeks - $3400
- 20 hours for 10 weeks - $3800
Scholarship payments will occur in two installments and will depend on successful completion at each stage: one in the middle of the internship and one at the end after completion of the final report and final presentation.
- Interest in STEM discipline(s). You don’t have to be a STEM major!
- Review the “required skills” in the Project Catalog (not yet posted) and make sure you meet the minimum requirements. For some projects, this may include advance coursework and for others there are minimal requirements.
- Have completed at least 6 units at Foothill College in the winter 2023 quarter.
- Be enrolled at Foothill College in spring 2023 for at least 6 units.
- Have Foothill College as your primary school (more credits at Foothill College than at De Anza College).
- Full completion of the application, including naming a faculty/staff reference and upload of a resume. A full letter of recommendation IS NOT required.
- You must be 18 and over to apply.
Priority given to:
- Students who have demonstrated financial need (through completion of the FAFSA, CA Dream Act or an explanation of financial need in the supplementary questions).
- Students who have not previously had an internship or company experience.
- Students who have the intent to transfer to a 4-year university.
- First time degree earners (no prior degree such as a Bachelor’s or Associate).
Before submitting the application, there are actions you can take to make the application process run more smoothly. Click on the button below.
- Fill out academicworks general scholarship application.
- Fill out supplemental application questions, including uploading your resume. You will be asked to select up to 5 projects that you are interested in. Review the Project Catalog (not yet posted).
- Upload unofficial transcript to scholarship portal.
For Summer 2023, there are a total of 41 projects in the Project Catalog. Please review them carefully. You will be able to choose up to 5 projects that you are interested in, and you will indicate that in the application.
Here is a complete Project List for the titles and associated keywords for each project.
A team from SLI will work with the project mentors/ supervisors to review applications and then select candidates. Finalists may be contacted for an interview depending on the project. Review the Project Catalog (not yet posted) for more details. Students may get more than one offer but can only accept one project. Final decisions will be made by early May.
If you have any additional questions, check out this FAQ document for more information.
Host Placement Outreach and Information
SLI is looking for mentors and companies to host a fully-funded Foothill College student intern for summer 2023. As an internship host:
- You will propose a 9 or 10 week project related to your research or work that a student can work on independently, with some guidance from you.
- Then you'll get matched with a Foothill College student, and they will work with you for the summer (starting 7/5/23 through the beginning of September).
- You have the option for a micro-internship (6 – 7 hours per week for the intern) or a regular internship (15 – 20 hours per week).
- This will involve a 3 - 6 hour per week commitment as a mentor (depending on whether it is micro or a regular internship).
Deadline to apply to host interns is now closed.
Summer 2022 Summer Internship Opportunities
The summer program was a wonderful experience for students and mentors alike! Please check out these files to get a better idea of this program we ran during summer 2022
Summer 2021 Internship Program
See below for some information from our summer 2021 internship program.
Summer Lunch STEM Seminar Series
This was a series of four sessions in July and August 2021 on professional development topics to further prepare you for the workforce.
Student Final Report Journal
Student interns each composed a one page journal report to document their internship. Read through to see the range of internship placements as well as about the student interns themselves.
Student Eligibility for Internships
Students who participate in the SLI STEM Summer Internship program should be aware of the following guidelines:
- Enrollment in ITRN 50 or 51 (depends on projected number of hours of internship).
- Course tuition will be covered by the Science Learning Institute or your financial aid.
- A program orientation for the summer internship program in late June with the Science Learning Institute. Some placements also require additional meetings, sessions, and professional development.
- Submission of a final report of your internship experience at the end of the summer.
- Part-time weekly commitment for 8 - 12 weeks. Duration and weekly commitment varies for each placement.
- All placements require some kind of minimal coursework depending on the relevant discipline.
- Applicants should be full time Foothill College students majoring in a STEM discipline.
- Priority is given to
- Students with demonstrated financial need, who have not previously had an internship or company experience, and who have the intent to transfer.
- First time degree earners (no prior degree such as a Bachelor’s or Associate)
- Scholarship/ stipend provided through the Science Learning Institute
- Work-based learning and experience to add to your skillset and resume
- Mentoring and support from your placement and from the Science Learning Institute
- Each placement has a different application associated with it - this is to be able to allow students to focus on making their case for each company or institution.
- Some internship placements may require uploading a resume and/or participating in an interview.
- Pay close attention to the application process and fill in all necessary forms.
How to Apply
All internships offered by SLI that have a stipend can be found at https://fhda.academicworks.com/ (directly through the link or see the AcademicWorks tile in MyPortal. Search for "SLI."
STEM Resources & Opportunities
Sign up to receive emails about internships, scholarships, conferences, and other opportunities for students in STEM.