Social Science Internships
Foothill College Social Science Research Assistant Internship Program
Offered in collaboration with Institute for Research in the Social Sciences (IRiSS), Stanford University
Welcome to the Stanford IRiSS Social Science Research Assistant Internship Program offered by the Institute for Research in the Social Sciences (IRiSS), Stanford University in collaboration with Foothill College Internship Office & Dean of Business & Social Sciences, and Mission College Social Sciences.
The Stanford IRiSS Social Science Research Assistant Internship Program matches community college students interested in social science research and careers with volunteer internships at social science research labs at Stanford University. You will serve as a research intern with graduate and postdoctoral researchers in psychology, sociology, psychophysiology, education, communications, and other social science related disciplines.
- Successful completion of one quarter of participation in the Stanford IRiSS Research Experience Program (REP) in a participating community college social science class. Note: Please talk to the instructors in psychology and/or sociology at Foothill College or Mission College, if you are unaware of the social science classes that offer REP. Community college affiliated applicants with alternative research experience may apply for an exemption. No other exemptions allowed.
- Ability to dedicate a minimum of 3 hours per week to a maximum of 15 hours per week by mutual agreement with your internship supervisor. Finals week and college holidays are excluded. For summer internships, a minimum of 6 hours per week is required.
- Ability to provide your own transportation to the internship. (Please note: parking fees may be required.) Note: Internships will follow county and college health restrictions for in-person activity, which may result in remote research only.
- Ability to participate for three consecutive quarters (fall, winter, spring) for the Academic Year Internship, or 9 weeks for the Summer Internship. Ability to participate for two consecutive quarters (spring, summer) for the Special Internship.
- Be enrolled in a San Francisco Bay Area college during the internship period (Summer Quarter excluded).
- Be 18 years of age or older.
List of Instructors Who Offer the REP in Classes
The following instructors offer the Research Experience Program (REP) in some or all of their classes.
- Eta Lin (Psychology)
- Florina Petcu (Psychology)
- Ben Stefonik (Psychology)
- Justin Gauthier (Psychology)
- Sarah Strader (Psychology)
- Patrica Gibbs (Sociology)
- Mark Bauermeister (Sociology)
- Jeff Cormier (Sociology & Psychology)
Application Packet for 2023-2024
Please include your name in the document title, and at the top of each document. Please do not submit multiple screenshots or other multiple documents. Applications that are missing one of the following four items will not be considered. It is your responsibility to follow up with your faculty recommender to ensure the form was submitted.
Submit your application now for Academic Year 2023-24
RA Intern Application Application closes Monday, October 16 at 5 p.m.
Note: Link will be active only during the application period; see below. If you have trouble with this link, please see the Research Assistant Intern Program website.
- A current resume with all work experience, volunteer experience, formal education and training (PDF Format)
- A paragraph describing your research interests in social science, and stating the number of hours per week you can volunteer
- Unofficial transcripts for completed courses (PDF or scanned, READABLE image - ONE DOCUMENT). Foothill students, get your transcript from MyPortal
One faculty recommendation (name and email address ONLY). Faculty will receive an emailed link to their Faculty Recommendation Form.
Timeline of Application Process
Academic Year 2023-24 – Apply in October 2023
- Applications open Sepy. 26, and are due Monday, Oct. 16, by 5 pm.
- Interviews will take place between Oct. 19–24.
- Offers must be accepted by Thursday, Oct. 26.
- Academic Year Internships run from Nov. 9, 2023–May 24, 2024.
- Academic Year Internships may be extended into the following Summer Quarter.
NOTE: You must be enrolled in a San Francisco Bay Area college during the academic year (no enrollment requirement in summer).
- You must have completed REP in a previous quarter to apply during the Fall application period. In all cases, you must successfully complete REP before starting your internship.
While this is a volunteer opportunity, in some sessions we may have small stipends available for students with demonstrated financial need. You will be notified if this is available.
- Faculty recommenders can be any faculty member - it does not have to be a social science faculty member or someone from a particular college.
- Please do not provide additional documentation beyond what is requested. It will not be reviewed.
- Please be sure to put your name at the top of each document.
- Resume examples and assistance may be provide at your college library. It is fine to list relevant courses and volunteer experiences. We do not expect you to have extensive work experience.
- Please be specific in your research interests paragraph. It's helpful for us to know if you have broad interests, but please give at least one specific example as well.
- Please note that some researchers have specific requirements for their research project. Therefore, if you do not receive an interview, it is not a reflection on your ability, but can be due to the quirks of the particular research projects being undertaken that year.
- If you do not hear from a research supervisor by the notification date, you will not be interviewed. We appreciate your interest in the program. Please try again next year if you will still be enrolled at the community college.