Female student looking at books

Financial Aid Programs

Foothill Campus
Student Employment

Now Hiring

Security Assistant I, FHDA District Police

Security Assistant Job Description

Hiring Supervisor: Sarvjit Dhillon
Email: dhillonsarvjit@fhda.edu


Are you a campus employer?

Steps to Hire a Foothill Student

Employer Time Sheet FAQ & TIPS


Types of Student Employment

District-Funded Student Jobs

The Foothill-De Anza college district employs students in some positions that aren’t funded by the federal Work-Study program.  To qualify for one of these district jobs, you must meet the following academic eligibility requirements (see below).

    • Actively enrolled in at least 6 units while you are working (this also includes positions funded by CalWORKs, Perkins or student is part of DRC), see below
    • Complete at least 6 units to qualify for continued employment; this includes positions funded by CalWORKs, Perkins, or student is part of DRC.
    • Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0, and
    • Have attempted fewer than 180 units combined at Foothill and De Anza College.

All district-funded student jobs are on campus. There are no listings for these positions. You can find these jobs by checking with departments and programs around campus.

Some offices and programs will post signs when they have student jobs available.


Note for International Students: 

District-funded student jobs are the only campus jobs you would be eligible for. F-1 students must enroll in and complete a minimum of 12 units each quarter (Fall, Winter, and Spring). Because of this requirement, under Student Terms and Conditions, a minimum 12-unit enrollment is also required for F-1 students looking for District Funded jobs and maintaining Student Employment Eligibility. 

Federal Work-Study Student Jobs

FWS  jobs are only open to students who have submitted a FAFSA for financial aid and have a Pell Grant award, a Federal Direct Student Loan offer, or a “work-study job option” message in their financial aid award letter for the academic year in which they will work. To qualify for a FWS job, you must meet the following academic eligibility requirements (see below).

  • Actively enrolled in at least 6 units at Foothill College to apply. (This includes summer quarter.) This means that the 6 units must be in courses that have begun by the date on which you begin work.

Example: If you are enrolled in 6 units for Spring Quarter, with 4 units beginning the first week of the quarter and 2 units beginning May 15, you would not be eligible to start work until May 15.

  • Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0, and
  • Have attempted fewer than 180 units combined at Foothill and De Anza College.


In addition, you must be in an eligible financial-aid status and meet the academic eligibility requirements (below) that apply to all student employees.

Federal Work-Study student employees can only earn up to the Federal Work-Study award amount they are given. This amount can often be adjusted upward as the year goes on, so don't hesitate to ask for an increase if you need or want one.

Academic Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for student employment, Foothill must be your primary college and, if you are not a first-time Foothill-De Anza Community College District student,  you must have:

    • Have fewer than 180 attempted units (attempted 180 units for FWS) at Foothill and De Anza Colleges combined (this includes units transferred in and units taken through Middle College);
    • a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 (if you have a Foothill/De Anza GPA); and
    • a quarterly GPA of at least 2.0 in your most recent quarter*
      *Students who drop below a 2.0 Quarterly GPA will be eligible to work as soon as they earn a 2.0 GPA or higher in a quarter in which they earn at least 6.0 units.
    • What if you want to apply for your first campus job but do not quite have a 2.0 your most recent quarter?   Do you think you could earn a 2.0 (or better) if you had a campus job? If yes, you can still apply. When you apply, let the hiring supervisor know about your GPA, any special circumstances that may have prevented you from getting a 2.0 in prior quarters, and your goal to make a 2.0 (or better) going forward. If you're a good candidate for the job, we would like to talk with you to see if we can make a special arrangement that would benefit you and the department you'd be working in.

Why Work for Foothill College

Foothill College student jobs give you an opportunity to earn money at a job on or near campus and to work with employers sensitive to the demands of your coursework.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is there an age requirement?

International (F-1) students must be at least 18 years of age.

Other students must be at least 16.

Students under the age of 18 must be able to bring proof of U.S. high school completion and proof of age (e.g., a birth certificate).

How much could I earn?

Students can work a maximum of 19 hours per week (the work week begins Monday and ends Sunday).

    • Most students work fewer than 19 hours a week. The number of hours you work will depend on the job, how many hours you wish to work, and--if you're a Federal Work-Study (FWS) employee--your FWS award.
    • The amount you earn will depend on your hourly salary. Ask the hiring supervisor what the salary is for the job.

What do I need to do after I am offered a student job?

Before you start working, you and your employer must complete and turn in the necessary paperwork.

Once the Financial Aid Office receives the completed paperwork, your employer will receive an email authorizing you to begin.

Your employer will let you know when you are authorized to begin working. IMPORTANT: Any student who begins working before they are authorized will have their job terminated.

Can I lose my eligibility to work after I am hired?

Yes. Each quarter you work, you must receive at least a 2.0 Quarterly GPA and receive a D or better in at least 6 units (if you have a District-Funded job) or in at least 6 units (if you have a Federal Work-Study, CalWorks, or in DRC).

    • If you do not, you will not be able to work the following quarter. 
    • Students who continue working after dropping below their required units (or after they stop participating actively in courses needed to maintain the required units) will have to wait two quarters in which they are otherwise eligible to work before they will be able to be rehired as a student employee.

Note:  You must receive a letter grade of D or better (in courses you take for a grade) or a Pass (in a Pass/NoPass course) for units to be considered "earned units." Incompletes and Withdrawals do not count toward your required number of earned units for the quarter.

Will my job continue from one academic year to the next?

All student jobs end on or before June 30 of the academic year in which they begin.

For a job to continue into the next academic year, a new job assignment card must be completed and the supervisor must wait for a new "authorization to work" email before a student can begin work in the new academic year.

Steps to Complete After You Accept a Job Offer and Before You Can Work

New Student Employees

New student employee steps apply ONLY to students who have

    • never worked as a Foothill student employee OR
    • not worked as a Foothill student employee within the past 2-3 years



  1. Once your employer emails the student employment representative an official request to hire you, AdobeSign documents will be emailed to you for completion.

    Note: Read the instructions for completion carefully. Unfortunately, if they need to be returned for correction, all previous entries are automatically deleted.
  2. Complete the following forms in a timely manner. Note: SEPs/I-9 that are not completed within 10 days of being sent will be cancelled.

    1. Student Employment Packet (SEP),
    2. I-9 form, and
    3. Conditions of Employment form.

  3. If your social security number is not already in the Foothill College database (Banner), provide your social security card and picture ID to the Admissions & Records Office to have it entered.

Current or Recent Student Employees (within past 2-3 years)

Current or recent student employee steps  apply to most students who have worked as a Foothill student employee within the past 2-3 years:

In most cases, your previous Student Employment Packet will still be valid.

  1. Your employer emails the Student Employment Representative to ask that you be rehired in your old position or hired in a new position.
  2. Your employer will fill out the necessary Job Assignment form.
  3. Once that and any other requirements are complete, your employer will receive an email authorizing you to begin work.
  4. You may be asked to sign a new Conditions of Employment agreement, but, if you are not, the Conditions of Employment agreement you signed when first hired as a Foothill student employee still applies to you.

*All student employees should check this page periodically to see if there have been any changes to those conditions.

Attention Student Employees


Normally, the FHDA District mails your Year End Wage and Tax Statement (W2) to your permanent U.S. address.

We would like to ask you to support FHDA's committment to the environment and green technology by consenting to receive your W2 online (through your MyPortal) and not by mail.

For more information, please visit the payroll website. It is secure, convenient, and green: Print only what you need, when you need it.


If you have any questions, contact the Student Employment at FHStudentEmployment@fhda.edu