Financial Aid Programs
Federal Work Study Program
Get a Job on or Near Campus!
The Federal Work-Study Program provides federally-funded part-time jobs for students with financial need.
- FWS jobs give you an opportunity to earn money each quarter (up to their FWS award amount) to help pay for college and living expenses.
- They help you gain valuable work experience and develop a greater sense of connection to Foothill College.
- While FWS award amounts vary, yours could allow you to earn as much as $2500 per quarter.
Most FWS jobs are on the Foothill Main Campus. We also have a few community service positions at nearby elementary and high school campuses (tutoring) and a position or two at our Sunnyvale Campus.
- Unlike District-Funded student jobs that require students to be enrolled in (and earn) at least 12 units a quarter, federal work-study jobs only require that a student be enrolled in (and earn) only 6 units each quarter.
- In addition, where a student must go door-to-door to find a District-Funded student job, we have a listing of FWS job openings—and supervisors eager to hire.
How do I get a FWS job?
Be aware. You will want to act fast!
- Each year we have enough funds to fill only 25-35 FWS positions. Once those funds are awarded, hiring stops.
- We start interviewing for Summer-start positions (which begin as early as July 1) in June and for Fall-start positions (which can start as early as September 1st) in late July.
- Historically, hiring stops before October 31.
To be considered eligible, you must:
- have already been offered a Pell Grant and/or Federal Direct Subsidized Loan at Foothill for the 2017-18 academic year (see your MyPortal Financial Aid tab).
- already be enrolled in at least 6.0 units for the quarter in which you want to start work.
- be eligible for student employment.
As soon as you are eligible, add your name to our Federal Work Study waitlist below. Once your eligibility is confirmed, you will receive an email with a link to a listing of FWS job openings and instructions on how to arrange for interviews.
Federal Work-Study Jobs Waitlist
Add your name only AFTER you have:
- been offered a 2017-18 Pell Grant and/or a Federal Direct Student Subsidized Loan AND
- you are enrolled in at least 6.0 units for the waitlist quarter.
If you add your name before you meet both of these requirements, your name will be automatically removed.
What if I don’t get hired for a position in Summer or Fall Quarter?
- While most jobs are filled before October 31, each year a few job openings become available in Winter or Spring Quarters.
- If you are still interested in being hired for a FWS position at Foothill, you can add your name to the Winter Quarter or Spring Quarter waitlist when it opens late in the preceding quarter.