Add & Drop Classes
How to Add a Class
You can add courses via MyPortal during the first two weeks of a regular quarter. For Summer Session, the last dates to add vary by classes. View Your Class Schedule in MyPortal for exact dates for your classes.
- Attend the first class meeting and collect an add code from the instructor. Late adds are at the discretion of the instructor and are granted
on a space-available basis.
Important: Instructors will not issue add codes until the first day that their own class meets.
- To request an add code for a fully online class, review Instructions to Request Add Code.
- Log in to your MyPortal account.
- From the Registration tab in MyPortal, select Add or Drop Classes in the Registration Tools section and select the term and college from the drop-down menu and click Submit.
- Enter the five-digit class CRN into the Add Classes Worksheet at the bottom of the screen. If you are on the course's waitlist, read the instructions below. Click Submit Changes button. A screen to enter the add code will pop up. Follow the instructions. Remember, payment in full is due immediately at the time of registration.
Adding a Class If You Are On the Course's Waitlist Prior to the Start Of the Quarter
Prior to the start of the term, you may add a class from the waitlist. Please Note: Review pages 4 – 6 of the Student Registration Guide (PDF) for detailed information about getting on a course waitlist. You will need Acrobat Reader to view or print these pages.
New Automated Waitlist Process
How it works
When a class is full, you may place yourself on a waitlist. If a space opens up in
the class prior to the first class meeting, you will automatically be enrolled in
the class and a confirmation email will be sent to your e-mail address that is on
Important things to know regarding the automated waitlist:
- You must meet the course prerequisites prior to placing yourself on a waitlist.
- If you are waitlisted for two classes that have corequisites, space must be available in both classes (Example: ASTR 010A and ASTR 010L).
- You can only put yourself on a waitlist for one section of the same course.
- You may not put yourself on a waitlist that conflicts in time with another course.
You are still responsible for dropping classes prior to the appropriate deadlines.
How to Drop a Class
There are several ways to drop a class during the drop period. You will be required to supply the complete course title and course number. Simply complete one of the steps listed below:
- Log in to MyPortal and drop the class. Review important drop deadlines by clicking on View Your Class Schedule
- Write a letter that includes your full name, student ID, signature, complete course title and course number. Mail to Foothill College Admissions & Records Office, 12345 El Monte Road, Los Altos Hills, CA 94022-4599.
- Fax a drop request form (PDF) and include your full name, student ID, signature, complete course title and course number to 650.949.6979.
- Submit a drop request form (PDF) at the Admissions & Records office in person during business hours. Be certain to bring your student ID and photo identification.
You are responsible for initiating the official drop process.
Failure to officially drop classes will result in assessed enrollment fees for which you are financially responsible as well as failing grades on your college transcript.
Answers to Your Questions
If you encounter problems or have questions, contact the Admissions & Records Office for assistance.
Use the A&R Help Form or call 650.949.7325.
Need Help?Contact Us!
Admissions and Records
Student Services Building 8100, Room 8101
Fall A & R Office HoursSept. 25–Dec. 22, 2017
Mon. & Tues. 8 a.m.–6 p.m.
Wed. & Thurs. 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Fri. 8 a.m.–3 p.m.
Mon.–Thurs. 10 a.m.–7 p.m.
Fri. 10 a.m.–1:30 p.m.
Both offices closed on campuswide holidays: Nov. 10, 23 and 24.