Many courses require you to have completed prerequisites or enroll in a corequisite when registering for a class.
Requisites are listed under each course description in the Catalog and the Schedule of Classes.
Important Note: The college has the authority to drop you from any course if you have not met the necessary prerequisites.
Previous background or course completions required for entry into another course.
Ways to Clear a Prerequisite
Depending on your academic history, prerequisites can be met by different criteria
other than successfully completing a course at Foothill College.
You may clear a prerequisite or corequisite by providing any of the following:
- Assessment/Placement Exam score (Math, English, ESLL, Chemistry)
- Proof of coursework taken at another U.S. college or institution
- AP test score of 3 or higher
- Proof of coursework taken at a college outside the U.S. (send form to Dean)
- Requires submission of an unofficial transcript with a grade of C or better AND a course description from the school catalog at the time you took the class. (cut and paste course descriptions into a Word document will not be accepted.). All unofficial transcripts must have a school name and a student's full name.
- Other/Challenge: If you do not meet any of the above, a prerequisite clearance requires dean approval.
Prerequisite Form and Process
- Download Prerequisite Clearance Form
- Fill out the form completely and attach the required documentation stated on the form.
- Fax, mail, e-mail or drop off the completed form and the required documentation to the Admissions and Records Office.
- Once we have received the form, it will be processed in the order received. Please allow at least 5 working days for it to be processed before attempting to register.
Please Note: You will only be notified by e-mail if your clearance petition has been denied.
Submit Form & Required Documents
Mail or Drop Off
Admissions & Records, Bldg. 8101
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, CA 94022
Admissions and Records
Student Services Building 8100, Room 8101
Can't find an answer on our website?
TEXT your admissions or registration question/concern to Foothill's ASK ME! service.
Text questions will be answered during regular business hours.
A & R Office Hours
MAIN CAMPUSMon. & Tues. 8 a.m.–6 p.m.
Wed. & Thurs. 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Fri. 8 a.m.–3 p.m.
SUNNYVALE CENTERMon.–Thurs. 10 a.m.–7:30 p.m.
Fri. 10 a.m.–2 p.m.