Family Engagement Institute
All children, youth and families in historically marginalized communities* actualize their potential, talents and voice through equitable access to educational opportunities, tools and responsive systems of support critical to success and well-being.
*Inclusive of BIPOC, immigrants and our undocumented community, LGBTQIA+ persons, etc.
FEI provides opportunities and inspires aspirations that promote college identity, access, retention, and completion for first generation students and families. The partnership with Foothill College is unique and we believe in a multigenerational pathway to college with family and community as fundamental to educational equity and success.
- A collaborative, strength-based approach to learning
- Dual capacity family and community engagement for effective family and educator partnerships
- The development of college-going identities and multigenerational pathways to college in order to maximize the student experience
- Shared responsibility through the cultivation of leadership, advocacy and trusted relationships
- College-level courses for first generation youth and families
- Professional development opportunities for educators and families working together
- Youth engagement opportunities, internships and mentorships that promote social connection and leadership
Capacity Building Areas
- School and College Readiness
- Developmental and Cultural Responsiveness
- Lifelong Learning
- 21st Century Learning and Global Citizenship
- Family Strengths and Community Cultural Wealth
- Communication and Connection
- Leadership and Advocacy
- Build knowledge, awareness, access and tools
- Develop growth mindsets and intentional equity-minded practices
- Deepen agency to leverage advocacy and catalyze action
- A common language and shared vision of equity that results in justice for all
- Determination and space for children, youth, families and communities to work together to ensure an inclusive, diverse and thriving society