Online Degrees & Certificates
AA in Music: General
The Associate in Arts degree in Music is a comprehensive course of study preparing the student to transfer to a four-year institution in music or a music related field, or to enter the music industry or a related field upon completion. Foothill's Music Department offers a wide variety of courses to satisfy the diverse interests and needs of its students. In addition to core courses in comprehensive musicianship and history/literature, the department also offers courses such as Music of American Cultures, the Music of the Beatles, and many others.
The department's award-winning faculty are active as composers, authors, performers, arrangers, and publishers in the Bay Area and throughout the U.S. The department has some of the newest and most comprehensive facilities in the country. Our performance facilities have been newly renovated and all of our classrooms are equipped with Steinway pianos and/or top of the line sound reinforcement/multimedia delivery systems. The Interdisciplinary Electronic Arts Center has many new features such as a new media classroom with MIDI keyboard stations fully equipped with the latest in recording and sound production design.
Learn more about the program on the Music website.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Through the study of music history/literature, students examine music masterpieces from multiple eras and cultures, synthesizing information and making judgments as they evaluate how music reflects individual composers' lives, as well as the contemporary social/historical context in which the compositions were created and performed.
- Through music theory/composition, students analyze the structure of music and learn to create their own original works satisfying specific and complex compositional requirements.
- Through music performance, students learn how to apply and express their historical, theoretical, and artistic understandings in a presentation addressing an appropriate audience.
- Using this three-lens framework, students increase their community/global consciousness as they learn to appreciate how music is a potent tool for understanding individual and cultural uniqueness within the larger context of our common humanity.
Career prospects in the music industry are diverse and abundant. With the advent of digital music delivery systems and alternative media, music is an integral part of the media revolution. Students have the opportunity to enter the industry in a variety of positions directly and indirectly related to this media revolution. Careers are not localized: due to the growth of new media and the communication available via the internet, opportunities exist in many locations.
Associate Degree Requirements
Units required for Major: 43
English proficiency: ENGL 1A, 1AH, 1S & 1T, or equivalent.
Mathematics proficiency: MATH 105, 108 or any MATH course approved for Foothill GE Area V, Communication & Analytical Thinking.
A minimum of 90 units is required to include:
- Completion of one of the following general eduation patterns:
- Foothill General Education
- CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or
- the Intersegmental Genearl Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
- Core courses (35 units)
- Support courses (8 units)
- Additional elective course work may be necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement for the associate degree.
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be taken for a letter grade. In addition, a grade of "C" or better is required for all core and support courses used for the degree.
Online Courses for Music: General
The courses listed BELOW are offered as online courses at least once every two years. Please see online Schedule of Classes for verification.
- For a complete listing of online courses offered during the current quarter, visit Online Course Information.
- If you need any additional degree information or confirmation, please contact the Counseling Division.
NOTE: Students having difficulty attaining an associate degree because of timing or availability of classes should consult with a counselor to submit a petition for course substitution.
Associate Degree Requirements
|English Proficiency: Select one of the following|
|ENGL 1A||Composition & Reading||5|
|ENGL 1AH||Honors Composition & Reading||5|
|ENGL 1S||Integrated Composition & Reading|
|and ENGL 1T||and Integrated Composition & Reading||8|
|Mathematics Proficiency: Select one of the following|
|MATH 105||Intermediate Algebra||5|
|MATH 180||Quantitative Reasoning||5|
|or||any MATH course approved for Foothill GE area V, Communication & Analytical Thinking|
Core Courses (35 units)
Select SEVEN courses from the following:
|MUS 2A||Great Composers & Music Masterpieces of Western Civilization||5|
|MUS 2B||Great Composers & Music Masterpieces of Western Civilization||5|
|MUS 2C||Great Composers & Music Masterpieces of Western Civilization||5|
|MUS 2D||World Music: Roots to Contemporary Global Fusion||5|
|MUS 3A||Theory & Musicianship I||5|
|MUS 3B||Theory & Musicianship I I||5|
|MUS 3C||Theory & Musicianship III||5|
|MUS 3D||Theory & Musicianship IV||5|
Support Courses (8 units)
Select EIGHT units from the following:
|MUS 1||Introduction to Music||4|
|MUS 2F||History of American Musical Theater||4|
|MUS 7||Contemporary Musical Styles: Rock, Pop & Jazz||4|
|MUS 7D||Contemporary Musical Styles: The Beatles in the Culture of Popular Music||4|
|MUS 8||Music of American Cultures||5|
|or MUS 8H||Honors Music of American Cultures||5|
|MUS 9B||Music & Media: Hendrix to Hip-Hop||4|
|MUS 10||Music Fundamentals||4|
|MUS 11B||Funk, Fusion & Hip-Hop||4|
|MUS 11E||History of Electronic Music: 1970-Present||4|
|MUS 11F||Video Games & Popular Culture||4|
|or MDIA 13||Video Games & Popular Culture||4|
|MUS 12A||Beginning Class Piano||2|
|MUS 12B||Intermediate Class Piano||2|
|MUS 12C||Advanced Class Piano||2|
|MUS 14A||Beginning Classical Guitar||2|
|MUS 14B||Intermediate Classical Guitar||2|
|MUS 14C||Advanced Classical Guitar||2|
|MUS 15A||Beginning Acoustic Guitar Techniques||2|
|MUS 15B||Intermediate Acoustic Guitar Techniques||2|
|MUS 15C||Advanced Acoustic Guitar Techniques||2|
For a complete list of degree requirements, please visit Music: General 2021-2022 in Degree & Certificates.
Based on the 2021 - 2022 degree program.