Online Degrees & Certificates
AA in Women's Studies
The Women's Studies major offers both male and female students opportunities to study the experiences, history, contributions and cultural images of women domestically and internationally, with a strong emphasis on global understanding and multicultural contributions. Courses from a variety of traditional disciplines, including sociology, history, psychology, communication and art, are included within the major.
Learn more about the program from the Women's Studies website.
Program Learning Outcomes
- The student will be able to identify connections between specific people, groups, events and ideas and larger sociological, psychological, historical and gender studies specific themes, developments and topics.
- The student will be able to critically analyze a variety of primary and secondary sources and draw valid sociological, psychological, historical, and gender studies interpretations from them.
A major in women's studies provides students with a unique contextual validation for today's woman, and prepares students who wish to enter fields such as law, medicine, and business. The major also allows students to pursue careers in health, teaching, government, counseling and community work. Through the women's studies major, students will gain knowledge regarding women's issues and will therefore be better prepared to work with both the general and the female population in a variety of areas.
Associate Degree Requirements
Units required for Major: 32
English proficiency: ENGL 1A, 1AH, 1S & 1T, or equivalent.
Mathematics proficiency: MATH 105, 108 or any MATH course approved for Foothill GE Area V, Communication & Analytical Thinking.
A minimum of 90 units is required to include:
- Completion of one of the following general eduation patterns:
- Foothill General Education
- CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or
- the Intersegmental Genearl Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
- Core courses (16 units)
- Support courses (16 units)
- Additional elective course work may be necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement for the associate degree.
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be taken for a letter grade. In addition, a grade of "C" or better is required for all core and support courses used for the degree.
Online Courses for Women's Studies
The courses listed BELOW are offered as online courses at least once every two years. Please see online Schedule of Classes for verification.
- For a complete listing of online courses offered during the current quarter, visit Online Course Information.
- If you need any additional degree information or confirmation, please contact the Counseling Division.
NOTE: Students having difficulty attaining an associate degree because of timing or availability of classes should consult with a counselor to submit a petition for course substitution.
Associate Degree Requirements
|English Proficiency: Select one of the following|
|ENGL 1A||Composition & Reading||5|
|ENGL 1AH||Honors Composition & Reading||5|
|ENGL 1S||Integrated Composition & Reading|
|and ENGL 1T||and Integrated Composition & Reading||8|
|Mathematics Proficiency: Select one of the following|
|MATH 105||Intermediate Algebra||5|
|MATH 180||Quantitative Reasoning||5|
|or||any MATH course approved for Foothill GE area V, Communication & Analytical Thinking|
Core Courses (16 units)
|SOC 28||Sociology of Gender||4|
|WMN 5||Introduction to Women's Studies||4|
|WMN 11||Women in Global Perspective||4|
|WMN 21||Psychology of Women: Sex & Gender Differences||4|
|or PSYC 21||Psychology of Women: Sex & Gender Differences||4|
Support Courses (16 units)
|COMM 10||Gender, Communication & Culture||5|
|KINS 10||Women in Sports||5|
|MDIA 8B||Women in Film||4|
|PSYC 14||Child & Adolescent Development||4|
|PSYC 22||Psychology of Prejudice & Discrimination||4|
|SOC 30||Social Psychology||4|
|or PSYC 30||Social Psychology||4|
|SOC 40||Aspects of Marriage & Family||4|
|SOSC 20||Cross-Cultural Perspectives for a Multicultural Society||4|
For a list of on-campus courses that satisfy degree requirements, please visit Women's Studies 2021-2022 Degree & Certificates.
Based on the 2021 - 2022 degree program.