Online Degrees & Certificates
AS in Computer Science
Computer programming, algorithms, data structures, and languages play an increasingly important role in academic, science and business careers. The Associate in Science degree satisfies the transfer requirements of many disparate 4-year colleges and universities. Our up-to-date curriculum is also valuable for enhancing the career opportunities of working professionals.
Learn more about the program on the Computer Science website.
Associate Degree for Transfer
This program also offers an Associate Degree for Transfer. Learn more and review the degree requirements on the Computer Science AS-T listing.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to use standard software engineering tools to create reusable code.
- Students will be able to design a large program that takes advantage of existing code libraries.
- Students will be able to organize a complex program in a logical way, enabling the extension of the program.
- Students will be able to comprehend user requirements and produce code and documentation in an industry-accepted style that satisfies those requirements.
- Students will be able to develop software that solves problems in a variety of fields, including math, physics, chemistry, biology, astronomy, business, and the internet.
- Students will be able to design and implement security policies for organizations of all sizes (Cybersecurity certificate).
The local Silicon Valley industry continues to need qualified software engineers, system administrators, software quality assurance engineers and systems integrators.
Associate Degree Requirements
Award type: AS = Associate Degree in Science
Units required for Major: 56
A minimum of 90 units is required to include
- Completion of one of the following general eduation patterns:
- Foothill General Education
- CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or
- the Intersegmental Genearl Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
- Core courses (38 units)
- Support courses (18 units)
- Additional elective course work may be necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement for the associate degree.
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be taken for a letter grade. In addition, a grade of "C" or better is required for all core and support courses used for the degree.
Associate Degree Requirements
|English Proficiency: Select one of the following|
|ENGL 1A||Composition & Reading||5|
|ENGL 1AH||Honors Composition & Reading||5|
|ENGL 1S||Integrated Composition & Reading|
|and ENGL 1T||and Integrated Composition & Reading||8|
|ESLL 26||Advanced Composition & Reading||5|
|College-level math course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra|
Core Courses (38 units)
|C S 10||Computer Architecture & Organization||4.5|
|MATH 22||Discrete Mathematics||5|
|or C S 18||Discrete Mathematics||5|
|And select one option from the following:|
|Option #1: Java|
|C S 1A||Object-Oriented Programming Methodologies in Java||4.5|
|C S 1B||Intermediate Software Design in Java||4.5|
|C S 1C||Advanced Data Structures & Algorithms in Java||4.5|
|Option #2: C++|
|C S 2A||Object-Oriented Programming Methodologies in C++||4.5|
|C S 2B||Intermediate Software Design in C++||4.5|
|C S 2C||Advanced Data Structures & Algorithms in C++||4.5|
|Option #3: Python
|C S 3A||Object-Oriented Programming Methodologies in Python||4.5|
|C S 3B||Intermediate Software Design in Python||4.5|
|C S 3C||Advanced Data Structures & Algorithms in Python||4.5|
Support Courses (18 units)
|C S 3M||Intermediate Algorithm & Data Structure Methodologies in Python||4.5|
|C S 20A||Programming in C#||4.5|
|C S 26A||Ruby & Functional Programming||4.5|
|C S 30A||Introduction to Linux||4.5|
|C S 30B||Linux Shell Programming||4.5|
|C S 30C||Linux System Administration||4.5|
|C S 30D||Advanced Linux System Administration||4.5|
|C S 30E||Linux System Administration: Network Services||4.5|
|C S 31A||Introduction to Database Management Systems||4.5|
|C S 40A||Software Engineering Methodologies||4.5|
|C S 48A||Data Visualization||4.5|
|C S 49||Foundations of Computer Science||4.5|
|C S 50A||Network Basics (CCNA)||4.5|
|C S 55A||Introduction to Cloud Computing In Amazon Web Services||4.5|
|C S 55B||Database Essentials in Amazon Web Services||4.5|
|C S 55C||Compute Engines in Amazon Web Services||4.5|
|C S 55D||Security in Amazon Web Services||4.5|
|C S 63A||Developing Applications for iOS||4.5|
|C S 64A||Writing Apps for the Android in Java||4.5|
|C S 80A||Open Source Contribution||4.5|
|C S 81A||3-D Graphics Programming||4.5|
|C S 82A||Introduction to Software Quality Assurance||4.5|
|C S 84B||Distributed Databases||4.5|
|MATH 2A||Differential Equations||5|
|MATH 2B||Linear Algebra||5|
|PHYS 2A||General Physics||5|
|PHYS 2AM||General Physics: Calculus Supplement||1|
|PHYS 2B||General Physics||5|
|PHYS 2BM||General Physics: Calculus Supplement||1|
|PHYS 2C||General Physics||5|
|PHYS 2CM||General Physics: Calculus Supplement||1|
Note that this is a list of fully online courses that satisfy degree requirements.
For a complete list of degree requirements, please visit Computer Science 2022-2023 Degree & Certificates.
Based on the 2022 - 2023 degree program.