Commencement Student Speaker Tryouts
You're Invited to Audition for the Class of 2023 Commencement Speaker
Do you believe that you can inspire and motivate the class of 2023? Yes! Then we encourage you to apply and possibly become this year’s student commencement speaker.
To be considered for Student Commencement Speaker, applicants must:
- Have earned a current GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Be in good academic standing
- Have displayed good citizenship while a student
- Will be receiving an Associate Degree from Foothill College
- Must attend the Commencement Ceremony
Guidelines for Your Speech
- Approximately 5 minutes of original content
- Shared orally in front of an audience of 1000 people or more
- Mindful of the audience, including a diversity of graduates, families, and friends
Elements of a Successful Speech for Commencement
- A message that inspires, encourages, and reflects the vision and hopes of the graduates
- A compelling story that incorporates your Foothill College experience (i.e. volunteering, balancing work/school, involvement in the community, overcoming hurdles, taking risks, a transcendent learning experience, or others)
- A message that is substantive, meaningful, entertaining, and suitable to the occasion
- A clear and cohesive organization of ideas or messages
Speaker Selection Process
- A graduation committee will review all submissions
- Graduating students will be selected for an interview to present their speech on May 9th or May 10th, 2023 between 1-4 pm.
- Student will be notified if selected or not on Friday, May 12th, 2023, by 5 pm.
- The chosen student speaker will be supported by our professional staff in developing their final speech and rehearsing delivery, to ensure they are confidently prepared.
How to Submit Your Speech
DEADLINE TO APPLY WILL BE SUNDAY, MAY 7
We're Here to Help!
Student Affairs Office
Campus Center Building 2000 Room 2002