Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) for Fall 2024
What is a TAG?
A “Transfer Admission Guarantee” (TAG) allows you — as a California community college student — to earn guaranteed acceptance to a university, as long as you follow university-specific instructions, guidelines, and criteria.
Submit UC TAG: Sept. 1-Sept. 30
Are you interested in TAG admission to a UC campus?
UC Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG)
Six (6) University of California (UC) campuses offer guaranteed admission to students from all California community colleges. You can submit a TAG to only one.
Eligibility Criteria to Submit a TAG
General Eligibility Requirements for TAG
- Available to any student transferring directly from a California community college, including F1-Visa students.
- You MUST have been enrolled in a California community college during the spring 2023 term. ( this applies to UC Davis only)
- If you were previously enrolled at a UC campus during a regular session, you can only TAG to a different UC campus.
- You MUST meet required university-specific TAG criteria at the time of submitting the TAG (Please note: meet with a counselor to see if you’re eligible before submitting a TAG).
- You completed at least 30 semester or 45 quarter UC transferable units from a California community college by the end of summer 2023 (some non-California community college units may/may not be accepted)
Students must have completed at least one transferable ENGL and MATH course by the end of summer 2023 (individual UC TAG criteria regarding ENGL and MATH completion may vary).
Who Cannot Submit a TAG
- Students with a bachelor’s degree, graduate degree, and/or professional degree
- Students cannot TAG to a UC campus that they’ve already attended.
- Students concurrently enrolled in high school (please meet with a Foothill college counselor for details)
Participating UC Campuses
Select a campus to review specific eligibility criteria and requirements.
- UC Davis (NO LONGER offers TAG for Computer Science for fall 2022)
- UC Irvine
- UC Merced
- UC Riverside
- UC Santa Barbara
- UC Santa Cruz (NO LONGER offers TAG for Computer Science for fall 2022)
NOTE: UC Berkeley, UCLA and UC San Diego DO NOT participate in the TAG program.
See a Counselor
A counselor can help you with the following TAG criteria:
- Creating a tailored education plan that meets your TAG and academic goals
- Verifying if you’re eligible to submit a TAG
- Reviewing your UC application and UC Transfer Admission Planner (TAP)
- Reviewing TAG deadlines, instructions, rules, and other criteria
Guidelines and Resources for Submitting Your TAG
TAG Matrix 2023-2024
The TAG matrix [PDF] provides campus-specific TAG criteria and requirements. Visit the UC TAG website to download it and get more information.
It also includes:
- GPA requirements
- Basic TAG course requirements
- Answers to unique academic circumstances (example AP, IB, etc.)
- Important dates/deadlines
- University TAG website links and contact information
- If you have AP/IB credit from high school and took a similar class in college, students may not receive duplicate credit for both the AP score and college course.
- Some UC’s may/may not accept AP/IB credit to fulfill MAJOR requirements.
- Foothill pre-calculus courses MATH 48A, 48B, and 48C equals 15 units. The UC will only accept a maximum 7.5 quarter units from these courses.
- A maximum of only 6 quarter units will be accepted for PHED Activity courses.
- F1-Visa international students cannot receive transferable credit for a language course that is their native language
- Although students are required to input coursework from ALL colleges attended, including international transcripts, it is not a guarantee which courses UC’s will accept from non-California community colleges.
Create a UC TAP Account to Submit Your TAG
Create a “New Student” TAP account to fill out the TAG application. Go to UC Transfer Admission Planner (TAP).
- The UC TAP account has a tab labeled “Apply for TAG.”
- Click that button to begin the TAG submission process.
- Students must submit their TAG between Sept. 1-30, 2023.
- TAG Application is FREE
TAG Application Preparation
|Important Notice: It is your responsibility to make sure the information you report is accurate and complete. Meet with a counselor to review your TAG.|
- Have ALL of your (unofficial) college transcripts (from all colleges attended) and Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) exam scores when filling out your UC TAP account. It might be helpful to have paper copies.
- Log-in to the UC Transfer Admission Planner (UC TAP) and start entering ALL your coursework in your UC TAP account.
- Once your UC TAP account is filled out accurately and completely, choose the tab, “Apply for TAG” to proceed with the TAG submission process.
Apply for Admission to Your UC TAG Campus
You must ALSO fill out the UC admissions application and submit it Oct. 1 – Nov. 30, 2023.
- Enter grades exactly as they appear on your transcripts that you have attempted, repeated, completed, dropped, or failed. NOTE: This includes grades “A” thru “F”, “I” for incomplete, or “W” for withdrawal, and academic renewal.
- Input ALL courses and grades whether your transcripts are from colleges in the United States or other countries; Do not work from memory.
- If you attended a California community college, the UC TAP account will recognize courses that are UC transferable and will automatically populate your course when you search for the course (This allows the UC TAP account to calculate your GPA).
- If the course is either non-transferable to UC or a non-California community college course, you must enter the courses manually because they will not automatically populate. Click “My course is not listed,” then manually enter the courses.
- Students must explain any gaps in education. For example: If you did not attend college for one or more terms. The UC TAP will request you to write in a text box what you were doing during your gap in education.
Reporting Future Planned Coursework
Work with a counselor to review TAG criteria, your TAG eligibility, and to help you plan your future/planned coursework:
- Use assist.org to plan your future/planned major course requirements. Use this website by first choosing Foothill College, then choosing your UC, and then your major. Here you will find the courses the UC requires you to take at a California community college for your major.
- Most science/math/ engineering related majors might have courses with prerequisites.
- Your future/ planned courses is a contractual agreement you make with the university. The UC will expect students to complete their listed future/planned courses by the end of spring 2024 (There may/ may not be some exceptions ). See examples below.
- If you register for courses in future terms that are different from what you listed in your TAG it may/ may not negatively affect your TAG.
For example: If you don’t take a major requirement that you listed in your TAG, this could negatively affect your TAG.
For example: If you take a different general education course than what you listed in your TAG, it most likely will not negatively affect your TAG.
- Please meet with a counselor if you choose to take a different course other than the courses you listed in your TAG.
- SUMMER 2024: This term may not be used to complete courses required for the TAG; all TAG requirements must be completed by the end of spring 2024 (DO NOT list courses for summer 2024 on your UC TAP account).
- UPPER DIVISION: If upper division coursework was completed, please check with a counselor to determine if you are at-risk of being denied admission due to excessive units.
- Not all majors are eligible for TAG with some UC’s and selective majors require more specific eligibility criteria.
- A TAG is a contract between you (the student) and the specific UC campus. Make sure to complete all coursework & maintain the required GPA requirements in your TAG agreement.
- If you need to make any changes to your TAG after you’ve submitted it by the Sept. 30 deadline, you may jeopardize your TAG! Work with a counselor to discuss any changes.
- Students can only choose ONE major and ONE university for TAG.
- Make sure you choose the same major and university on your UC application that you chose on your TAG in the UC TAP account
- In addition to meeting certain TAG requirements at the time of submission, TAG conditions must continue to be fulfilled until the end of Spring 2024.
- You do not have to apply for TAG to be considered for admission. Students that choose not to apply for TAG can still apply for UC admission Oct. 1st – Nov. 30th, 2023 (students can apply to more than one UC on the UC application.
TAG does NOT require you to answer Personal Insight Questions (PIQ’s) within the TAG. However, students are required to answer their (PIQ’s) in their UC application.
UC Davis has been the only UC that lets students know by mid-November if their TAG was approved. Most UC’s usually will not let you know if your TAG was approved until they send your admissions decision.
Meet a Counselor Now
Stop by the Transfer Center or Counseling Center to see if you are eligible to submit a UC TAG. We offer Quick Questions Drop-In Counseling Sessions during the summer until fall quarter starts.
Deadline to submit your TAG is Sept. 30. Don't wait until the last minute. We look forward to working with you!
TAG Guideline for Download
You may download the PDF version of these TAG resources and guidelines for reference.
Other Guarantee Admission Options
California State University (CSU)
Complete an Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) for guaranteed admission to a university in the CSU system.
Visit our ADT website for associate for transfer degree information and how to petition.
- Arizona State University
- University of San Francisco
- Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCU)
- Santa Clara University Transfer Admission Agreement
Santa Clara University Transfer Admission Agreement (SCU TAA) instructions and eligibility
criteria (info. subject to change):
1. Meet with a Foothill counselor before Feb. 1st (priority deadline) to complete and submit an SCU TAA if you're eligible. Although NOT recommended, students may be allowed to submit a SCU TAA up to March 26.
(COUNSELOR MUST complete/submit SCU-TAA to FH Transfer Center Director)
2. Students must have a 3.30 GPA at the time of SCU TAA submission.
3. Applicants must have at least 2/3 of the required coursework completed at the time of SCU TAA submission.
4. Students major must be listed on the SCU TAA.
5. Students must provide pdf copies of unofficial transcripts from ALL colleges attended, including Foothill and De Anza College.
Honors Institute Participants
If you participate in Foothill's Honors Institute, you may qualify for priority admission
and/or guarantee admission to the Honors Institute's Transfer Partners, which include UCLA, UCI, San Diego State, and other colleges/universities.
We're Here to Help!
Student Services Building, 3rd Floor Room 8329
Oct. 9– Dec. 15
Winter Recess Hours
Dec. 18 – Dec. 21
Jan. 2 – Jan. 5
Jan. 8 – Jan. 12
Jan. 16 – Jan. 19
Jan. 22 – Mar. 29
HOLIDAYS & EXCEPTIONS