students against wall


Admission Requirements

Foothill has an open-door admission policy for all high-school graduates and non-graduates who are 18 years of age or older.

IF you are interested in our Allied Health programs, skip to special admission forms.

IF you are an out-of-state student, skip to residency requirements.

What Kind of Student Are You?

Let us help you find your best path to successful enrollment in classes at Foothill!

AB540 Undocumented Dreamer

AB 540 is a California law that allows all students who qualify, including undocumented students, to pay in-state tuition fees at all public colleges and universities in California.

To be eligible, you must have

  • attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years
  • graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent (for example, passing the GED or California High School Proficiency exam) prior to the start of the term that you are applying at Foothill College

Follow these steps if you qualify for AB 540 status

  1. Apply for admission to Foothill
  2. Complete the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption (AB 540) Form
  3. Apply for financial aid using the Californian Dream Act application
  4. Follow enrollment steps for Priority Registration
  5. Consider joining one of our learning communities
  6. Visit our Dreamers and Undocually website to learn about support.
  7. Register for Classes!

Adult Learner

Has it been awhile since you've been in the classroom? Are you working and wanting to take classes at the same time?

Visit or contact our Adult Learners coordinator Janie Garcia at She can answer any questions you may have and provide the support you need to get started with your educational goals.

Follow these steps to get started!

  1. Apply for admission to Foothill
  2. If you plan to earn a degree or cerificate or transfer to a 4-year university, follow enrollment steps for Priority Registration.
  3. If you are taking a class for personal enrichment, skip Step 2 and move to how to register for classes.

Graduating High School Senior

If you are a graduating high school senior, we are happy you are here! We hope you choose Foothill College as your next destination in your educational and life journey.

We have a lot to offer at Foothill at an affordable price, whether you are looking to transfer to 4-year university or train for a career.

Be sure to check out Foothill College Promise. First-time, full-time students (12 units or more) are eligible to have the cost of tuition and fees fully paid for their first year at Foothill College.   


Depending on how close you are to graduating from high school, you can

We look forward to seeing you on campus!

High School Dual Enrolled (9-12)

High school students enrolled in grades 9-12 can take Foothill College classes for free.*

*Foothill College waives enrollment and all other fees** for dual enrollment as long as you do not take more than 11.5 units during the fall, winter, and spring quarters (six units in the summer).  

**The cost of textbooks, other course fees such as materials fees, and parking fees are not waived. 

  • To participate in the dual enrollment program, you need special permission from a parent/guardian and your high school principal/administrator.  
  • To get startedfollow these Steps to Enroll

Incoming Transfer Student

If you've already completed some credit coursework at another university, and even if you are looking to only attend Foothill for a summer course, follow these steps.

  1. Apply for Admission
  2. Meet Assessment and/or Course Prerequisite Requirements
  3. Meet with a Counselor after you apply for admission and receive your Foothill College student ID. If you are only taking one class but have questions, our counselors offer several ways to meet with them to determine you educational goals.
  4. Register for Classes
  5. Pay for Classes
    Pay your fees as soon as possible after registering. If you need help paying for college, we offer financial aid options and payment plans. Remember that you may be dropped from your classes if you do not pay in a timely manner

International Student

We are happy you plan to study at Foothill!

Our International Programs Office caters specifically to international students on F-1 visas, providing counseling and assistance to more than 700 students from more than 70 different countries.

To start, visit the International Students Admissions page to complete the application process.

We look forward to meeting you once you join our community!

Military Veteran

We are proud you are considering joining our Foothill College community.

Supportive counselors and staff in our Veterans Resource Center understand your needs and will help you transition your military skills to civilian life.

If you have served in the military or are a military dependent and are eligible, follow these steps to enroll in classes at Foothill.

The use of benefits is not required to participate in the services offered at the Veterans Resource Center.

  1. Apply for admission to Foothill
  2. Request your VA Benefits
  3. Follow enrollment steps for Priority Registration Note: If needed, you can request accommodated testing for your assessment tests.
  4. Register for Classes

Returning to Foothill — You Missed a Quarter

If you've attended Foothill but were not enrolled during the previous quarter (does not apply to Summer Session), you are consider a former student and need to reapply for admission to register for classes.

If you've already completed the priority enrollment steps for priority registration, you will need to become a continuing student again to get back into the priority registration queue.

We are glad you are back!

Student with a Disability

Our Disability Resource Center (DRC) provides extensive support services if you identify as a student with needs for special accommodations.

We'll help you get started with the admissions application process and everything you need to register for and succeed in your classes.


Contact the DRC

For immediate Alternate Media needs, contact the DRC:

Location: Student Resource Center (5400)
Phone: 650.949.7017

If you have questions about other services, see who to contact.

If you are eligible for services in the DRC, follow these steps to enroll in classes at Foothill.

  1. Apply for admission to Foothill
  2. Register for services in the DRC
  3. Follow enrollment steps for Priority Registration Note: You can request accommodated testing for your assessment tests.
  4. Register for Classes

Special Admission Programs

Special admission procedures, such as additional testing and application forms, are required for admission to several career programs. Some of these programs begin only in the fall quarter. You must complete all special admission requirements in the preceding spring quarter.


Residency Requirements

If you are an out-of-state student, you are considered a non-resident until you have satisfied current California residency requirements. This rule applies to visa-holding non-citizens eligible to establish residency. Non-resident tuition is required of all students in this category.

Students who currently reside in any of the following states may not be able to enroll in courses at Foothill College. Please contact our Admissions & Records Office at 650.949.7325 or use the A&R Help Form to determine if you will be allowed to enroll.


Eligible Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) Holders

Education Code section 68075.6 grants an immediate nonresident tuition fee exemption to eligible Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) holders and refugee students who settled in California upon entering into the United States.

This exemption is granted for one year from the date the student settled in California upon entering the United States.

The exemption applies to the following:

  • Iragi citizens or nationals (and their spouses and children) who were employed by or on behalf of the United States Government in Iraq  (Pub.L. No. 110-181 § 1244)
  • Afghan and Iraqi translators (and their spouses and children) who worked directly with the United States Armed Forces (Pub.L. No. 109-163, § 1059)
  • Afghanistan nationals who were employed by or on behalf of the U.S. government or in the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in  Afghanistan (Pub.L. No. 111-8, § 602)
  • Refugee students admitted to the United States under Section 1157 of Title 8 of the United States Code


States with enrollment exceptions

  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Connecticut
  • Georgia
  • Maryland
  • Michigan

  • Minnesota
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • Rhode Island
  • Washington, D.C.

Enrolled Student Classification

You are a matriculated student if you have filed an Application for Admission, enrolled at Foothill and have done one of the following:

  • Submitted high school and other transcripts;
  • Met with a Foothill College counselor, counseling associate or career advisor to examine educational opportunities;
  • Announced an intention to study for a degree or certificate;
  • Begun a series of introductory, general education or special courses; or
  • Begun a series of special courses leading to a certificate or degree.

Freshmen: Students with fewer than 45 units of college credit.

Sophomores: Students who have completed 45 or more units of college credit and have not received a degree.

Full-Time Students: Students carrying 12 or more units.

Open Course Policy

It is the policy of the Foothill-De Anza Community College District that, unless specifically exempted by statute or regulation, every course, course section or class reported for state aid, wherever offered and maintained by the district, shall be fully open to enrollment and participation by any person who has been admitted to the college and who meets such prerequisites as may be established pursuant to regulations contained in California Administrative Code Title V commencing with Section 55200.

Exceptions to Admissions & Registration Policies

To request an exception to a published policy, you must file an exception petition (PDF). This form is available online or in the Admissions & Records Offices on either campus.

ph default text

Need Help?
Contact Us!

Admissions and Records


A & R Help Form

Student Services Building 8100, Room 8101

View In-Person & Virtual A&R Office Hours