Social Science Internships
Foothill College Social Science Research Assistant Internship Program
Offered in collaboration with Institute for Research in the Social Sciences (IRiSS), Stanford University
How to Apply
The application period for this internship has closed.
Application for the Social Science Internship is open for Summer 2017 and/or Academic Year 2017-18
To apply, please complete the following steps by Friday, May 5.
If the links listed here are not active, please check back after the April 21 start date.
- Social Science Online Application Form: Foothill students must complete the application for Social Science internship.
- Letter of Recommendation Form: The letter of recommendation should be completed by a faculty member, who recommends the applicant for the Social Science internship.
The Social Science Research Assistant Internship Program matches Foothill College students interested in social science research and careers with volunteer internships at social science research labs at Stanford University. You will serve as a research intern with graduate and postdoctoral researchers in psychology, sociology, psychophysiology, education, communications, and other social science related disciplines.
- Must be 18 years old or older.
- Successful completion of one quarter of participation in the Foothill-Stanford Research
Experience Program (REP) in a participating Foothill social science class.
** Please talk to the instructors in the psychology and/or sociology departments if you are unaware of the social science classes that offer REP.
- Ability to dedicate a minimum of 3 hours per week to a maximum of 15 hours per week at the discretion of your internship supervisor. Finals week and college holidays are excluded. For summer internships, a minimum of 6 hours per week is required.
- Ability to provide your own transportation to the internship.
- Ability to participate for three consecutive quarters (fall, winter, spring) for the Academic Year Internship, or 9 weeks for the Summer Internship.
- Be enrolled at Foothill College during the internship period (Summer quarter excluded).
- A current resume with all work experience, formal education and training (PDF or Word Format)
- A paragraph describing your research interests in social science
- Unofficial transcripts for completed courses (PDF or scanned image) — Please refer to Myportal to access your transcripts.
- One faculty letter of recommendation. Faculty should use this form.
Timeline for 2017 - 2018 Academic Year Application Process
Summer 2017 and/or Academic Year 2017-18
APPLY IN SPRING 2017
- Application open: Friday, April 21, 2017
- Application, resume, & recommendations due: Friday, May 5, 2017
- Notificatioin of interview offer: Monday, May 22
- Interview period: May 10-22
- Summer 2017 Internship period: June 26 - August 25, 2017 (Summer)
- Academic Year Internship period: Sept. 18, 2017 - May 31, 2018 (Fall-Winter-Spring)
- Combined Summer and Academic Year Internship period: June 26, 2017 - May 31, 2018
NOTE: Indicate on application whether you are applying for Academic Year ONLY or for Academic Year + SUMMER. You must be enrolled in the community college during the academic year.