Social Science Internships
Foothill College Social Science Research Assistant Internship Program
Offered in collaboration with Institute for Research in the Social Sciences (IRiSS), Stanford University
Welcome to the Stanford IRiSS Social Science Research Assistant Internship Program offered by the Institute for Research in the Social Sciences (IRiSS), Stanford University in collaboration with Foothill College Internship Office & Dean of Business & Social Sciences, and Mission College Social Sciences.
The Stanford IRiSS Social Science Research Assistant Internship Program matches community college students interested in social science research and careers with volunteer internships at social science research labs at Stanford University. You will serve as a research intern with graduate and postdoctoral researchers in psychology, sociology, psychophysiology, education, communications, and other social science related disciplines.
- Successful completion of one quarter of participation in the Stanford IRiSS Research
Experience Program (REP) in a participating community college social science class.
Note: Please talk to the instructors in psychology and/or sociology if you are unaware of the social science classes that offer REP. Applicants with alternative research experience may apply for an exemption. No other exemptions allowed.
- Ability to dedicate a minimum of 3 hours per week to a maximum of 15 hours per week by mutual agreement with your internship supervisor. Finals week and college holidays are excluded. For summer internships, a minimum of 6 hours per week is required.
- Ability to provide your own transportation to the internship. (Please note: parking fees may be required.)
- Ability to participate for three consecutive quarters (fall, winter, spring) for the Academic Year Internship, or 9 weeks for the Summer Internship.
- Be enrolled at the community college during the internship period (Summer Quarter excluded).
Please include your name on the top of each document. Please do not submit multiple screenshots or other multiple documents. Applications that are missing one of the following four items will not be considered. It is your responsibility to follow up with your faculty recommender to ensure the form was submitted.
Submit your application here: RA Intern Application (Link will be active only during the application period; see below.)
- A current resume with all work experience, formal education and training (PDF Format)
- A paragraph describing your research interests in social science, and stating the number of hours per week you can volunteer
- Unofficial transcripts for completed courses (PDF or scanned, READABLE image - ONE DOCUMENT). Foothill College students - please refer to Myportal to access your transcripts.
- One faculty recommendation (name and email address). Faculty will receive an emailed link to their Faculty Recommendation Form.
Timeline of Application Process
Summer 2018 and/or Academic Year 2018-19 - Apply in Spring 2018
Applications open: Friday, April 20, 2018
Application, resume, & recommendations due: Friday, May 4, 2018, 5:00 p.m.
Notification of interview offer: Monday, May 21, 2018.
Interviews: May 9-20, 2018.
Summer 2018 Internship period: June 25 - August 24, 2018 (Summer)
Academic Year Internship period: Sept. 17, 2018 - May 30, 2019 (Fall-Winter-Spring)
Combined Summer and Academic Year Internship period: June 25, 2018 - May 30, 2019
Indicate on application whether you are applying for Summer ONLY, Academic Year ONLY or for Summer + Academic Year. You must be enrolled in the community college during the academic year. Academic Year Internships may be extended into the following Summer Quarter.
- You qualify if you are enrolled in a course requiring REP during the quarter you apply, as long as you successfully complete REP before starting your internship.
- Faculty recommenders can be any faculty member - it does not have to be a social science faculty member or someone from a particular college.
- Please do not provide additional documentation beyond what is requested. It will not be reviewed.
- Please be sure to put your name at the top of each document.
- Resume examples and assistance may be provide at your college library. It is fine to list relevant courses and volunteer experiences. We do not expect you to have extensive work experience.
- Please be specific in your research interests paragraph. It's helpful for us to know if you have broad interests, but please give at least one specific example as well.
- Please note that some researchers have specific requirements for their research project. Therefore, if you do not receive an interview, it is not a reflection on your ability, but can be due to the quirks of the particular research projects being undertaken that year.
- If you do not hear from a research supervisor by the notification date, you will not be interviewed. We appreciate your interest in the program. Please try again next year if you will still be enrolled at the community college.