Selecting a College Major
What is a Major?
In order to get a degree from Foothill College or any univeristy, you will need to declare a major. A college major is a concentrated area of study intented to help you acquire specialized knowledge about a particular subject.
Steps for Selecting a Major
- Select a career that aligns with your values, skills abilities and life goals.
- What do you enjoy doing?
- What academic classes do you like?
- What is important to you?
- What motivates you?
- What are you good at?
- Make a list of majors that you are interested in pursuing.
- Research the majors, utilizing web resources (see available resources).
- Research which schools and universities offer your major.
- Consider selecting general education courses in areas that you are interested in exploring further.
- Talk with professionals the the career areas you are pursuing.
- Narrow dow your list to three possible majors.
- Align your majors to your academic strengths, abilities ad values.
- Evaluate the pros and cons for each major.
4. Develop an Action Plan
- Be proactive when researching your major.
- Plan an informational interview.
- Get involved in extra curricular activities and internships aligned with your major.
- Meet with your counselor to discuss your options and to create an educational plan to include general education and major preparation.